Honored Contributor

It does sound scary!  Sorry I can't help but I wish him a full & speedy recovery whatever it is!

Honored Contributor

It's very difficult to say what it might be without knowing medical history and lab test results. FOU (fever of unknown origin) alone is not key to a diagnosis.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everybody for your responses & support.DH & I are on our way to see him now.He just texted me that he is awaiting the results of the final tests.Fingers crossed 🤞 for my dear friend.

Valued Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

DH & I have a friend who was admitted to the hospital 3 days ago for an unexplained fever that has gone as high as 104!

They have run every test imaginable & taken all sorts of cultures & they have all come back negative. The doctors have told him that he appears very healthy. He's 50 years old & has no other symptoms.

An infectious disease doctor has been part of his medical team.They have no idea why he keeps spiking fevers. One doctor suggested that he may have some sort of virus.

Has anybody heard of anything like this before? Any ideas that maybe the doctors missed? I would really appreciate any input. DH & I are very concerned about our

Several years ago a few weeks after completing radiation treatment for breast cancer I was hospitalized for over one week. I had fevers that were over 104 for 7 days. I also had every test imaginable plus an infectious disease doctor. I wound up on oxygen,nebulizer treatments,horrible coughing . They treated me with alternating antibiotics every 8 hours because they could not pinpoint the infection. I then had a very itchy rash on my legs and my back. What a nightmare. Everyday a doc came in and asked if I had been out of the country which I hadn't been. The end diagnosis was an unknown virus that since my immune system was compromised with the cancer treatment I had received,my body could not fight off the virus. It took months for me to recover but definitely was very scary. 

Honored Contributor

104 is very high.  With a temp that high, your friend must have symptoms.

Did they do a test for c-diff?  Clostridium Difficile, an intestinal infection.  The test specifically for this bacteria isn't usually done unless the doctor suspects a patient might have it.  It wouldn't hurt to run the test to eliminate that possibility.   

Was he on an antibiotic recently?  In the hospital before this stay recently?  It's sometimes picked up in hospitals and rehab centers, but elsewhere, too.  

That's not to say this is it.  Just something to consider.  

I know someone who had it.  His temp went that high.  Doctors missed it at first. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Opinion Please

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

104 is very high.  With a temp that high, your friend must have symptoms.

Did they do a test for c-diff?  Clostridium Difficile, an intestinal infection.  The test specifically for this bacteria isn't usually done unless the doctor suspects a patient might have it.  It wouldn't hurt to run the test to eliminate that possibility.   

Was he on an antibiotic recently?  In the hospital before this stay recently?  It's sometimes picked up in hospitals and rehab centers, but elsewhere, too.  

That's not to say this is it.  Just something to consider.  

I know someone who had it.  His temp went that high.  Doctors missed it at first. 

@Foxxee one of the times when my sister was admitted to the hospital I suggested that they test her for c-diff and they just waved me away until 2 weeks later when it was like a last resort for the infectious disease doctor.  Guess who had been right all along.

Esteemed Contributor

Hey everyone. I just heard from my friend.The last of his test results are in. It looks like he has Lime Disease. He never had a bullseye rash & doesn't recall having a tick bite. The infectious disease doctor told him that it was probably in a dormant state.

He was put on a specific antibiotic. Fingers crossed 🤞. Thanks again for your help & support.

Contributor

I am so glad to hear your friend has a diagnosis.  Thank you for letting us know.  I wish him a speedy recovery to good health.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
I had a friend who began spiking fevers right after her 50th birthday. It was finally diagnosed as adult onset leukemia. A lot of time was wasted in diagnosing it since she and her DH had served as missionaries in Brazil for many years and had just returned to the US. Drs. Screened her for every exotic disease and virus out there...but it was leukemia.