Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I have implants and they are all the same, they drill into your jaw and put  s screw in there, it is left to heal and become part of your bone, they difference is what it will anchor, single tooth, partial or fixed bridge

You are talking about what is affixe to the implant not the implant itself

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I will be getting six (individual) implants sometime early next year. I've already had my mouth scanned. I asked about temporary teeth and I was told I won't be getting them because my implants are in the back. I was also told temporary teeth are not made to eat with but are for aesthetics only, for instance if you had front teeth missing then a 'flipper' would be worn until you got your abutments and crowns put in. I asked about eating food and I was told I would have to change my diet to soft food...I'm not looking forward to that part at all. 

@SilleeMee  I just had 3 implants "installed" Friday morning by an oral surgeon.    It was somewhat of an ordeal.    I can't imagine anyone having all their teeth done at once.    I will have to wait 5-6 months until the crowns can be put on.........and, yup.......all soft food until then. 

@Desertdi 

There's different kinds of implants. Anchored dentures, partial or bridge implants and then single-tooth implants. The anchored dentures can be a full upper or lower. The bridge or partials are semi-permanent where you have to go in yearly to have them removed and cleaned underneath.  If you have all of your teeth missing then I would think you would need regular (temporary) dentures until you got healed up to get the crowns or the anchored dentures.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

Yes, that's what I meant to say. The implant part goes under the gum line and those are all the same. Abutments vary depending on what those will be holding.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I will be getting six (individual) implants sometime early next year. I've already had my mouth scanned. I asked about temporary teeth and I was told I won't be getting them because my implants are in the back. I was also told temporary teeth are not made to eat with but are for aesthetics only, for instance if you had front teeth missing then a 'flipper' would be worn until you got your abutments and crowns put in. I asked about eating food and I was told I would have to change my diet to soft food...I'm not looking forward to that part at all. 

@SilleeMee  I just had 3 implants "installed" Friday morning by an oral surgeon.    It was somewhat of an ordeal.    I can't imagine anyone having all their teeth done at once.    I will have to wait 5-6 months until the crowns can be put on.........and, yup.......all soft food until then.  di

@Desertdi 

There's different kinds of implants. Anchored dentures, partial or bridge implants and then single-tooth implants. The anchored dentures can be a full upper or lower. The bridge or partials are semi-permanent where you have to go in yearly to have them removed and cleaned underneath.  If you have all of your teeth missing then I would think you would need regular (temporary) dentures until you got healed up to get the crowns or the anchored dentures.

Thank you for telling me about the anchored dentures. 

I have a permanent bridge and I have never been told it needed to be removed and then replaced.

Contributor
Thank you everyone for your help
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  I just had 3 implants "installed" Friday morning by an oral surgeon.    It was somewhat of an ordeal.    I can't imagine anyone having all their teeth done at once.    I will have to wait 5-6 months until the crowns can be put on.........and, yup.......all soft food until then.  di

@Desertdi 

Thank you for telling me about the anchored dentures. 

I have a permanent bridge and I have never been told it needed to be removed and then replaced.

@CelticCrafter 

I asked my doctor about a permanent bridge implant with three teeth on it because that was an option for me. But when he told me I would have to come in to have it removed to clean under it yearly then I decided not to get that. I had never heard that before until that day.

Super Contributor

I would not consider having a tooth extracted and a post implanted on the same day.  It would be like putting a post in jello.  I had an implant in 2011 and I am very happy with the results.  It was several months after the extraction before the post could be inserted and then another wait for the tooth to be added.  It was worth the wait and the cost.  

Valued Contributor

i don't have implants, but i paid for them for my mother.

there was no temporary anything.

went for x-rays, and molds or whatever they are called, one day.

a few weeks later went back and got the implants.

i can't remember how many teeth, but it was a lot, as was the cost.

she felt good enough right after they were done to go to sam's club afterwards. don't ask!

yes, it was worth it! ! ! !

if you live near a major league hockey team, try to find how which dentist/oral surgeon they send the players to. they get teeth knocked out all the time and get implants. these doctors are probably some of the best you will find. the one that i used had a team of people in the room, opposed to just 1 or 2 people. i remember there were 2 primary sugeons and a back-up surgeon, plus some other people.

i picked them for that reason. and because they had a wall of celebrity clients, who we know will know will sue or the studio that they are working for, will sue, if a pin drops.

you want someone that has been doing this for years and years and years. i know that many of my mothers friends, just went to whoever was local (aka any ole' body that has a shingle outside) and some of them had implants that fell out.

this is probably one of those times where you get what you pay for.

Honored Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

I would not consider having a tooth extracted and a post implanted on the same day.  It would be like putting a post in jello.  I had an implant in 2011 and I am very happy with the results.  It was several months after the extraction before the post could be inserted and then another wait for the tooth to be added.  It was worth the wait and the cost.  

I asked my doctor about that. He said the reason why the implants are put in right after extraction is because that's when the bone has it's optimum mass. In other words as time passes after tooth extraction, the bone 'shrinks' and it naturally loses some of it's volume. My doctor went on further to say when an implant is placed into the hole left behind from a newly extracted tooth then the bone there has better (initial) conditions to accept and heal (build bone) around the implant(s) as time go on.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

The bridge is affixed with permanent cement it can not be removed, it is the same as a cap on a post. I am not sure what the dentist was talking about. I have had a fixed bridge held by 4 implants for 5 years and it has never been removed

@SilleeMee wrote:

front teeth missing then a 'flipper' wo

I asked my doctor about a permanent bridge implant with three teeth on it because that was an option for me. But when he told me I would have to come in to have it removed to clean under it yearly then I decided not to get that. I had never heard that before until that day.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

I think there must be varying kinds of partials. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I have a brochure which was given to me by the doctor who will be doing my implants and in that brochure it discusses partials and the different versions of them.