Trusted Contributor

Olive 'bars' near salad 'bars'...?

I would like to know why it is in grocery stores, near the salad bars, there is usually an ''olive bar'' with nothing but olives- a large variety of olives to choose from. Is it a healthy addition to our diets? Do you eat from the olive bars? Any tips ?? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Olive 'bars' near salad 'bars'...?

My tip is, if you like olives, eat olives. They are healthy and people like them. Hence.....olive bars.
Trusted Contributor

I have never seen a Salad Bar in a grocery store.How do they sell..by the weight or are they already made up??
Esteemed Contributor

The salad bar at my grocery store looks pretty much like the ones you find in restaurants that have them. You fill your container and weigh it when you get to the register, at least that's how it's done here.

Honored Contributor

There is an olive bar near the salad bar. I really don't eat olives, but I bought some things from the olive bar for antipasti trays I was making during the holidays. They have a variety of items besides olives.

Honored Contributor

The salad bar and the olive bar and the hot food bar are charged by the weight.

Trusted Contributor

And a hot food bar too,geez I must live in Mayberry. Lol
Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2015 spud188 said: And a hot food bar too,geez I must live in Mayberry. Lol

There's a soup bar too. LOL

Trusted Contributor

I was just wondering why the olives have their own separate bar. I guess it's because of the many varieties...but then again, there are lots of varieties of tomatoes. Obviously, I don't know much about olives.

Esteemed Contributor

I make a beeline to the olive bar at my local Wegmans - yum. Garlic stuffed, almond stuffed, feta stuffed - and there are really cool marinated peppers and artichoke hearts, too. I generally have a tub of them in the fridge for snacking, to add to a salad, put on a sandwich. I find these to be much better that the ones in jars, and the varieties are unusual. If you like olives you are delighted.

Cogito ergo sum