Respected Contributor

Re: “Older people... are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible.”

@lovesrecess What are the symptons ??

Respected Contributor

@alicedee Fortunately our Dr. Does E-visits. I had one for my sinus infection on Thursday.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@hckynut Yes, 60 is mathmatically older unless you live to be 120.  

@Sooner 

Hi there!  I mean, in a conversation and someone says "older person", and I am pushing 81?  Does that mean older than me, or older than who, and say the person asking is my friend who is 84.

So I'll tell him the "immune system"  breaking down. He says to me, do you believe it? I say, nope, and he says "I agree". 

Let's go by the average life expectancy, say it's 72.  So at 37 I'm on the down side because my life is more than half over? I remember when 80 used to seem ancient to me, now? 

Heck, I'm living it up right now and don't have time to waste on a maybe this or maybe that, having too much fun. 

Enjoy your weekend,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

C'mon now @sidsmom ,

"Everyone knows dairy is not good for you"?  I know it is good for me. I really don't care what "experts" say, they don't know me or anything about me, but I do. Can't imagine how much my gut biome is inflamed in my 80+ years, and yet not 1 single symptom or problem has shown up on my umpteen CAT Scans/MRI/Nuclear Scans and Ultrasounds.

Now my Esophagus is inflamed, or was at one time, but meds have deflamed it. Now my gut " biome", whatever the heck that is? If it is damaged nobody has managed to see it, and I don't feel it!  Dang, now I have a urge for a big glass of good ole Vitamin D milk. Ahhh!!! 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As with everything, we can control what we do but we can't control what others do.  We have no idea how careful others are being -- such as how careful people are about hand washing, covering their mouth with tissues when sneezing, coughing, etc., instead of just  coughing into the air or their hands, etc., avoiding crowds when possible and unnecessary travel, etc.  Younger people are probably not worried about this so much because they are healthier, so many are probably not taking many precautions, or any.  Many of us "older people" who have these medical issues and are very susceptable, are very concerned and are trying to be as careful as possible.  So, in essence, I think they are stressing hand washing and very simple measures for all as a means to try and control this as much as possible --- for everyone!  Just as with the regular flu, DH and I are always very concerned and try to use precautions as much as we can.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Can we please stay on topic. 

@Mindy D 

I believe trying to stay healthy is VERY on topic,

especially for the older demographic of this forum.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut Yes but just remember what it felt like to be sick,sick,sick, just be careful why push not getting better.Heart

Honored Contributor

I like real milk,from cows.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Well, I'm "older" I guess, whatever "older" is.  

But I'm not staying home.  Not any more than usual.  

If I felt I were part of a demographic that was particularly vulnerable, I guess I'd rethink it.  But for now, I'll see friends, go to work, eat out, all the things I usually do.  

YMMV.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot 

Look out, someone's going to take this and start talking about milk! LOL  They are calling 60 "older" for this and makes me laugh.  Hubby and I hit the big 6-0 in the coming weeks but we have no intentions whatsoever of alterning how we live.  We have no respiratory issues and while we intend to do all the smart things to stay healthy; we are not going to avoid socializing and living our lives.  We aren't cruise people so that isn't an issue.  We decided not to travel outside the country for the foreseeable future.  That's by no means a sacrifice because there are so many wonderful places here in the USA that we haven't seen.  Restaurants, movies, church; we aren't giving any of that up.  Of course, it would be a different matter if we were in our mid 70's or had respiratory or cardiac issues.  My bff is 74 and while she is fit ad healthy, she has decided to avoid travel and crowds.  With the exception of local restaurants.