Honored Contributor

Re: “Older people... are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible.”

I see no reason to just sit at home and wait to get sick. I am aware...not afraid. I avoid crowds, stay very clean, and avoid sick people, and keep my home as sanitized as possible...but am not going to become a recluse! I am going to two baseball games and a soccer game tomorrow...will be outside and can sit as far from or as close to others as I want.,,,,
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

4160D8BA-5C64-4726-8187-3246940EAF20.png

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m wondering how the movie theaters are faring....

As a decades long routine, Ive always opened doors, pushed elevator buttons, hold hand rails...and so forth, using my sleeve pulled down over hand.

Doorknobs, ATMs, gas pump handles, shopping carts,  the 

“card swipe” machines at checkout ( where a PIN number must be typed in)... the List is absolutely endless!

Handrails, elevator buttons,   coffee machines, convinience store coolers, 

counter tops, salt n pepper shakers at restaurants, public restroom toilets/sinks and hand dryer buttons.....omg, 

I can’t make it stop!  lol

Esteemed Contributor

Just because I'm 64 doesn't mean I'm ready for the nursing home. I'm still going to the stores, gym and anywhere else I want to go. Today I'm going to the zoo while the weather is still nice. We are both healthy and see no reason to stay indoors even though the cats would love it. I have things to do, places to go. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

In a similar advisory from King County, WA, older people has been defined as 60 and older.  

@tansy this is the first time I've seen an age put to older. 

Yesterday I googled and tried to find out what was considered elderly and was not successful.

Honored Contributor

This advice  has been on every channel,all the time.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

I'm in my senior years but the flu doesn't scare me but this is respiratory virus and that means you can't breathe and it's very painful. I caught pneumonia from someone at church and ended up in the hospital in quarantine and the pain was horrible. I saw all those people on respiratrators in China and it brought the memories. The nurse told me that once you have had pneumonia you more susceptible to get it again .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many won't heed the advice, however I will listen to the experts and follow their recommendations to stay healthy. Some risks aren't worth taking, especially when health is involved. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Many won't heed the advice, however I will listen to the experts and follow their recommendations to stay healthy. Some risks aren't worth taking, especially when health is involved. 

I agree.WHEN big events are being cancelled and schools are closing you know this is serious.

Respected Contributor

My mother is staying indoors.  She has been going out less and less over the years and now lives with my sister so thankfully doesn't have to her own food shopping and some other errands.  She has several medical conditions which would certainly put her at a higher risk.  She is stocked up on her meds, especially inhalers which the pharmacist already said they are backordered now.