Respected Contributor

Re: “Older people... are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible.”

The virus can live on surfaces . My health provider told me that you wash your hands to reduce the number. You are never fully sanitized due to bacterial being in the air. He said that the sanitizer gives many people a false sense of security and they do not wash as much. He did not say they were bad but they should not be your main leave be if defense.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I hate the way it changes what I type!
It was typed as “main line of defense “
Valued Contributor

@1Snickers - Thanks!  Appreciate your explanation.

Valued Contributor

ReOlder people... are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible.”

@doxie1 - Thanks for the explanation!   Really should be picking up some more hand lotion, too. 

Honored Contributor

Infectious droplets in the air are like dust. They go anywhere including in that bit of air you take in each time your take a breath. Droplets can land on any part of your body...on your hands where, from there, the droplets can be spread to even more places, for instance in your eyes, nose or mouth.  So washing your hands decreases the numbers of droplets which could possibly spread on you and to others. It is also important to mention that our skin is not sterile and that it is home to many normal flora which help keep pathogens from moving in. When you use harsh cleansers and sanitizers, you destroy some of your good bacteria and that makes room for the bad ones to move in. I'm not, and never have been, a user of hand sanitizers because of what I just said. 

Respected Contributor

SilleeMee

People tend to be healthier when they protect their skin biome instead of unbalancing it. You are so right
Honored Contributor

@dex   Great choices....didn't think about the dentist.

Honored Contributor

I think the washing hands recommendation is because we touch so many things and we don’t always know how clean they are. I always wipe off the handle of my shopping cart at the store. The store provides Purell wipes at the front of the store during flu season....but I hope they make it year-round now.
Honored Contributor

My dr called me elderly when I was 57....😡
Esteemed Contributor

I know people mean well but I am as an old person rather insulted. On a daily basis I can run rings around those half my age.  I attribute it to dancing and being active socially. My hubby is in the same situation.  If I am sick I stay home but if I have no symptoms I just keep on going at my pace.  I am not going to sit back and just hang out while others are out and about.