Trusted Contributor

Re: Old Fashioned Cough Remedies

Yogi Tea, Organic, Throat Comfort, Caffeine Free, 16 Tea ...Highly recommended and tastes great.

Trusted Contributor

Starbucks The Coldbuster | Starbucks Secret MenuThis starbucks medicine ball is a great drink too.

or

The 25+ best Starbucks cold buster ideas on Pinterest ...

Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer

Last place I found horehound candy was Cracker Barrel.   

Honored Contributor

Dang, I'm sick with a cold too and saw this in the store when I went for more Zicam and some sucrets lozenges.  I thought about buying it but I wasn't sure.

@deb5555 wrote:

Yogi Tea, Organic, Throat Comfort, Caffeine Free, 16 Tea ...Highly recommended and tastes great.

Now I wish I would have tried it.  My cough is an aggravating tickle and I fight post nasal drip.  No congestion so I am leaving the cough syrup alone.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Be careful because it is flu season and colds can also turn into bronchitis and that can turn into pneumonia so be dilligent and see your doctor if the home remedies listed do not help, or if you have problems breathing immediately go to doctor or ER as it could be pneumonia has set in and you will need constant care until you recover.  (Asthma and COPD patients need to be very aware and get help if you need help before you become bedridden and cannot breathe).

I take a Tylenol extra strength (1 every 12 hours) when I have a cold.

Also if you live alone have someone keep in touch with you by teklephone, or computer but contact by telephone is best. Also if someone can come over and check on you often that woiuld be very helpful.  Also ask for help if you become dizzy or too sick and cannot go shopping.

Best cold cough syrup recipe:

Buy 1 jar of preserved lemons from Amazon, or make your own with organic lemons which do not have any wax or other impurities..

Cut the preserved lemons into wedges but not all the way through.

Put 1/2 of them into a clean jar with a good screw cap that closely tightly, or place in a sterilized mason jar and screw cap, also each is sold on Amazon.

To the preserved lemons add 5 tablespoons pure honey sold from your own region and to that honey add some Grand Manier or bourbon to taste.

Shake well and place in refrigerator.

You can replenish by only adding more liquor to the cough syrup.

Take 2 tablespoons daily and drink some hot tea and add some of the cough syrup into it too.

Wash your hands with very warm tap water and soap, and dry them well.

Lightly spray Lysol disinfectant on your bed sheets and let them air out if you are too weak to place fresh ones on to the bed..

If you have the strength or can have someone help you, change your bed sheets when you feel the need to.

Spray Lysol on telephones, door knobs, door locks, key boards, (but for key boards spray a cloth first very lightly and wipe the key board well).

Make plenty fresh chicken soup and enough to freeze some for later.

Also keep a few cans of chicken soup and chicken broth or chicken stock sold in containers as that is great to always have on hand.

For a fast chicken soup you can also buy a rotisserie chicken and just use the meat shredded and add the shredded chicken meat to your container  of chicken broth or stock, and add some  baby shell macaroni. Bring to a rapid boil, then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. 

To serve add some fresh lemon juice into your soup bowl of your chicken soup.

Take a warm bath and the heat against your chest will help break up the congestion.

Buy some boroleum salve from a drug store to place underneath your nose as that helps you breathe better. (Not in the nose just a dab underneath the nostrils). 

Blow nose with tissues with aloe as tissues are more sanitary than hankerchiefs. Blow and throw away.

Rub your chest with 91% rubbing alcohol and then rub Vicks Vabor rub on your chest area and cover with a warm cloth, then place a tee shirt over it to keep it in place. I keep that on day and night and apply more Vicks as needed.

Rest, eat well, drink plenty water to stay hydrated and in no time you will shake the cold and recover.

Wishing anyone who comes down with a cough or cold or any other ailment a very speedy recoverySmiley Happy.

Esteemed Contributor

My Dad's go to remedy was hot tea with lemon and whiskey.  Drink a cup, go to bed, and wake up feeling better.  I still use it as do my children (all adults).

Respected Contributor

When all else failed, a co-worker said brandy worked for her. She had a bad cough that just wouldn’t go away.

For coughs, I like Boiron Chestal Honey cough syrup. For a sore throat, I like  Zand Herbal Mist Throat Spray.

Trusted Contributor

@VaBelle35 now we're talking! These both sound great, I plan to make the bourbon one as soon as I get home from the office.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

@VaBelle35 now we're talking! These both sound great, I plan to make the bourbon one as soon as I get home from the office.

Let me know how you like it. I might try it just because Smiley Very Happy

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

Mix honey and lemon in some hot water. Also if you have some cough drops dissolve a couple of those in hot water and drink it. And if you have some Vicks rub it on your chest and the bottom of your feet. Put on some warm socks after you do that. These three things really do make a difference.

@Kitlynn

I do use Vicks salve on my chest and throat at night, but, have never heard of putting it on bottom of feet. Curious as to what that does for you? 

Deep In The Heart of Texas