Valued Contributor

Re: Old Fashioned Cough Remedies

[ Edited ]

This was said.....I do use Vicks salve on my chest and throat at night, but, have never heard of putting it on bottom of feet. Curious as to what that does for you? 

Answer is that putting the Vicks on your feet with  warm non binding socks over it draws the cold out of your body.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

Mix honey and lemon in some hot water. Also if you have some cough drops dissolve a couple of those in hot water and drink it. And if you have some Vicks rub it on your chest and the bottom of your feet. Put on some warm socks after you do that. These three things really do make a difference.

@Kitlynn

I do use Vicks salve on my chest and throat at night, but, have never heard of putting it on bottom of feet. Curious as to what that does for you? 

I have no idea why but it helps to stop the coughing. A country doctor told me that when my daughter was little. It really did work and he said it works on adults also. So we do it and it does seem to help. I guess since we put it on our chest and throat at night and then it is on our feet also it is like vapor from head to toe.

Trusted Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

My Dad's go to remedy was hot tea with lemon and whiskey.  Drink a cup, go to bed, and wake up feeling better.  I still use it as do my children (all adults).

This has always been my Go-To.  Many times I will opt for Honey Lemon Tea and add whiskey.

Depending on why I have a cough, if it is congestion or sinus related benedryl also helps.