Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,767
Registered: ‎06-27-2010

Re: Oil of Oregano - Antiviral and Antibacterial

[ Edited ]

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

 

          @KittyLouWhoToo,  Based on the most recent articles/studies I've seen the use of oregano in the chicken farms is still experimental.    However, I applaud the owners who are taking a chance and trying this to see what the outcome will be.    It's still not clear exactly what the benefits are for people, also, but I'm glad it's being investigated.    Here's a good scientific, detailed article about some of the claims and findings a few years ago.   I only had time to look quickly...  not sure if there are newer, useful scientific findings.

 

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/oil-of-oregano/

 

          As with all the herbs, supplements, spices, etc., I do hope everyone will read about the potential side effects and also the drug interactions before they decide to ingest them on a regular basis.  Just because something seems "natural" doesn't mean it's safe.

 

 


@dooBdoo

 

The article is from 2011 and farmers continue to use oil of oregano.  I would guess that if they had not seen any positive results they would have stopped using it by now.

 

While I appreciate science, I am not going to hold my breath waiting for more definitive studies to come from the scientific community.  Who is going to fund them?

 

My post was in response to what I found interesting - to hear a company say in a television commercial that they actually use Oil of Oregano in their chickens' water, instead of using antibiotics.  And that led to a discussion by some here who have used this supplement with positive results (myself included).

 

I like you, doob, but I do not like being told that "just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safe".  I have been interested in alternative therapies for years, and never have I made such an assumption.

 

I remain interested in what organic and YES, natural farmers are using in place of dangerous and toxic substances in their livestock and produce. 

 

 


 

          Hey, there, @KittyLouWhoToo!    Good morning!   You know I like you, too.   And you know me by now...  I'm not snarky.    My last paragraph was a general one, not directed at you or anyone in particular.   I worry about those I see sometimes who think "natural" equals safe, or who forget that what seems like a simple addition to their daily intake might actually interfere with a medication they take...  or might have troublesome side effects.   I've seen some bad -- really awfully bad -- things happen, and so I try to add a reminder here and there sometimes.   I'm also terribly concerned about overuse of antibiotics, and I hope everyone is.    Even if we have a misunderstanding here, I still hope my post might be of some use, some value.    My intent was to offer a little helpful info I remembered reading (when there was another thread specifically about the use in chicken farms), because the way the fellow detailed his investigations was interesting and also a balanced view.   I did say it was from a few years ago, and I certainly anticipate even more positive findings out there now to help us know more about it. 

          In no way was I attempting to steer anyone away from this path.   My apologies for my clumsy writing.  I hope you have a great Monday, and that the week gets even better and better as each day greets you!

 

 

 

⭐️“He drew a circle that shut me out. Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. But Love and I had the wit to win: we drew a circle that welcomed him in.” ~E. Markham ⭐️

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,440
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Oregano as an Antibiotic


@SilleeMee wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo,

Woman Happy Yes and it probably depends on how much oregano is ingested at a time. I take barberry root for my blood sugar management and it's also an antibiotic so I take it seven days on then seven days off with no problems.


I take ceylon cinnamon, it really has worked so well for me ,for my bllod sugar.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,323
Registered: ‎07-09-2011

Re: Oregano as an Antibiotic

@SilleeMee

 

Oregano is not an antibiotic.  It has similar properties to tea tree oil as an anti-septic.  

 

NOTE:  essential oils should not be used full strength on skin.  The only exception is tea tree oil, I dilute even that.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,395
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Oregano as an Antibiotic


@Drythe wrote:

@SilleeMee

 

Oregano is not an antibiotic.  It has similar properties to tea tree oil as an anti-septic.  

 

NOTE:  essential oils should not be used full strength on skin.  The only exception is tea tree oil, I dilute even that.


Thanks for the clarification @Drythe. Toxicity of antiseptics are especially important to note when using them, some more than others.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,935
Registered: ‎04-18-2013

Re: Oregano as an Antibiotic

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@SilleeMee

 

Oregano is not an antibiotic.  It has similar properties to tea tree oil as an anti-septic.  

 

NOTE:  essential oils should not be used full strength on skin.  The only exception is tea tree oil, I dilute even that.


Isn't it true, though, that Oil of Oregano has both antiviral and antibiotic properties?  As well as antiseptic.  So I have read in many places.

 

I have gotten into using essential oils and never use them full strength on my skin.  I always use a carrier oil.  Eucalyptus, tea tree and peppermint helped me tremendously recently when I had a lot of congestion from a head cold.  I also used Oil of Oregano full strength under my tongue and have had no problems from it, except for the horrendous taste. Cat Tongue

 

I tried to amend my original title line on this thread because I did NOT intend it to mean that I was saying that Oregano is an antibiotic.  

 

@Drythe

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,935
Registered: ‎04-18-2013

Re: Oil of Oregano - Antiviral and Antibacterial

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

 

          @KittyLouWhoToo,  Based on the most recent articles/studies I've seen the use of oregano in the chicken farms is still experimental.    However, I applaud the owners who are taking a chance and trying this to see what the outcome will be.    It's still not clear exactly what the benefits are for people, also, but I'm glad it's being investigated.    Here's a good scientific, detailed article about some of the claims and findings a few years ago.   I only had time to look quickly...  not sure if there are newer, useful scientific findings.

 

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/oil-of-oregano/

 

          As with all the herbs, supplements, spices, etc., I do hope everyone will read about the potential side effects and also the drug interactions before they decide to ingest them on a regular basis.  Just because something seems "natural" doesn't mean it's safe.

 

 


@dooBdoo

 

The article is from 2011 and farmers continue to use oil of oregano.  I would guess that if they had not seen any positive results they would have stopped using it by now.

 

While I appreciate science, I am not going to hold my breath waiting for more definitive studies to come from the scientific community.  Who is going to fund them?

 

My post was in response to what I found interesting - to hear a company say in a television commercial that they actually use Oil of Oregano in their chickens' water, instead of using antibiotics.  And that led to a discussion by some here who have used this supplement with positive results (myself included).

 

I like you, doob, but I do not like being told that "just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safe".  I have been interested in alternative therapies for years, and never have I made such an assumption.

 

I remain interested in what organic and YES, natural farmers are using in place of dangerous and toxic substances in their livestock and produce. 

 

 


 

          Hey, there, @KittyLouWhoToo!    Good morning!   You know I like you, too.   And you know me by now...  I'm not snarky.    My last paragraph was a general one, not directed at you or anyone in particular.   I worry about those I see sometimes who think "natural" equals safe, or who forget that what seems like a simple addition to their daily intake might actually interfere with a medication they take...  or might have troublesome side effects.   I've seen some bad -- really awfully bad -- things happen, and so I try to add a reminder here and there sometimes.   I'm also terribly concerned about overuse of antibiotics, and I hope everyone is.    Even if we have a misunderstanding here, I still hope my post might be of some use, some value.    My intent was to offer a little helpful info I remembered reading (when there was another thread specifically about the use in chicken farms), because the way the fellow detailed his investigations was interesting and also a balanced view.   I did say it was from a few years ago, and I certainly anticipate even more positive findings out there now to help us know more about it. 

          In no way was I attempting to steer anyone away from this path.   My apologies for my clumsy writing.  I hope you have a great Monday, and that the week gets even better and better as each day greets you!

 

 

 


Hi doob, Thanks for your post.  I don't think you are ever clumsy in your writing, btw.  I think you say exactly what you mean.

 

While I DO appreciate what you are saying, can I just say that consulting with your doctor and pharmacist are no guarantees that what they give you will be safe and/or efficacious.

 

Several years ago I was given a medication from my doctor.  One night, late at night, I woke up to find that I had angioedena.  I did not know at the time that that's what it was, but I was pretty frightened when I felt the swelling in my face and mouth and looked in the mirror and watched it grow bigger and bigger.  I went online and searched for my symptoms.  Sure enough, I came upon a blog where someone had posted pics of themselves that looked exactly like what I was looking like.  The person who wrote the blog said he had been taking the same medication I had been taking and to beware of this side effect which can be life-threatening.  And he suggested that if you did have this side effect that you should IMMEDIATELY get to an emergency room. 

 

Well, I got in my car and did just that.  I was seen almost immediately when the sign in person took one look.  I was there all night.  The nurse told me she'd seen this before, and the doctor told me to never take the medication again and to go back to my doctor to find an alternative.  You know what my doctor said?  "We can't be sure that this medication caused the angioedema".  You knoiw what I heard?  "I am afraid you are going to sue my ass".  All I wanted was for him to acknowledge that this med had done this to me (confirmed by the doctor at the emergency AND by many subsequent things I read online when I was researching it.  If I hadn't gone to the emergency I could have died.

 

Anyway, just wanted to say that sometimes doctors are not the right people to consult.  Unfortunate, but true.  I do not see that particular doctor anymore as my trust in him went bye bye and I started seeing an Integrative Physician who is trained  in both Western and Eastern medicine, and alternative therapies.  I am much happier with his adivce and care, as well as that of his very well rounded staff.

 

Cat Happy

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,155
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Oil of Oregano - Antiviral and Antibacterial

The way I see it, countless people have had bad reactions or even died from medications. I feel much safer going this way.

From what I was reading, I think there's some confusion that it's simply oregano spice. Not even close.

As I said before, our family has used oregano oil capsules orally in addition to the liquid form directly on our skin. It is totally fine. We also use a high quality form of peppermint oil (in addition to others) for different purposes. It is wonderful when you have a headache and/or neckache. We don't dilute it with another oil. A few drops and massage it in and it works wonders. We use oils in a diffuser, mostly at night. Heavenly. I don't have to worry about any side effects.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,777
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Oregano as an Antibiotic


@KittyLouWhoToo wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I doubt very much Oregano is a sub for an antibiotic. Back in my hippie days I took herbs for a URI and it turned in to pneumonia.


No one said it was a substitute.  It has antiviral and antibacterial properties and is used as a preventative and as a first defense.

 

No one is going to give you Oil of Oregano for MRSA or another serious infection.

 

The fact is that organic and natural farmers ARE using it for their livestock instead of using antibiotics that corporate/industrtal farms use.

 

 


@KittyLouWhoToo

 

The doctor will not give you oregano oil or tea tree oil for MRSA but you can buy it & use it yourself. You can research it online.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,905
Registered: ‎06-23-2014

Re: Oil of Oregano - Antiviral and Antibacterial

@KittyLouWhoToo  I worked in the medical field for many years and was pretty much brainwashed, lol, that anything except pharma meds were ineffective, or dangerous. Well, fast forward many years to now. I'm not doing so well on meds. I know many people that use essential oils and herbal products. I'm open to try something new. Of course, I'm not stupid and wouldn't replace a lifesaving drug with oils. 

 

Too often people forget that many medications are developed from plants. Years ago when there wasn't a drug, that's what they used. Quite effectively I might add. I have heard many firsthand reports from older relatives. 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,723
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Oil of Oregano - Antiviral and Antibacterial

Have used Oil of Oregano not as a preventative but rather when I feel I may be getting a cold or resporatory issue.  Holistic vets even recomended for dogs.  Used it when they both came down with kennel cough, gone in 1 - 2 days.  Gave it to my moms dogs and they never even got it.

You never look good trying to make someone else look bad.