Respected Contributor

Re: Oregano as an Antibiotic

@SilleeMee wrote:

@QueenDanceALot,

Woman Happy Yes and it probably depends on how much oregano is ingested at a time. I take barberry root for my blood sugar management and it's also an antibiotic so I take it seven days on then seven days off with no problems.

Great tip 

Respected Contributor

Ok I'm trying this. I have trouble with antibiotics causing a yeast overgrowth in my system. This seems to work on both. Thanks for the info!

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Gee, I wonder how Purdue gets away with using it rather than using antibiotics in their chickens?

Those chickens must be brainwashed.

@QueenDanceALot  And we know that no medical doctor told them to use it........oh my........

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Gee, I wonder how Purdue gets away with using it rather than using antibiotics in their chickens?

Those chickens must be brainwashed.

@QueenDanceALot  And we know that no medical doctor told them to use it........oh my........

@tends2dogs

It's the Placebo Effect.

Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

The doctors don't prescribe Oregano because Big Pharma cannot put a Patent on it. Doctors don't know anything about it.

Don't be fooled by Perdue chicken & no antibiotics. They bring in 2 flocks of non-antibiotics ever chickens to raise & next bring in 2 flocks of no antibiotics ever so there is plenty of antibiotic residual left from the 2 flocks they just gave it to. I read a whistle blower article about it. Did not research to see how true either statement is.

Honored Contributor

I doubt very much Oregano is a sub for an antibiotic. Back in my hippie days I took herbs for a URI and it turned in to pneumonia.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I doubt very much Oregano is a sub for an antibiotic. Back in my hippie days I took herbs for a URI and it turned in to pneumonia.

No one said it was a substitute.  It has antiviral and antibacterial properties and is used as a preventative and as a first defense.

No one is going to give you Oil of Oregano for MRSA or another serious infection.

The fact is that organic and natural farmers ARE using it for their livestock instead of using antibiotics that corporate/industrtal farms use.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oil of Oregano - Antiviral and Antibacterial

I changed the title of the thread as it wasn't clear that I was posting that Oil of Oregano was being used INSTEAD OF ANTIBIOTICS in livestock, which it is in organic/natural farming.  I was NOT suggesting that it be used to treat serious infections in people(or in animals, quite frankly - as it is being used to keep animals healthy, not to treat them for serious disease).

As noted, it's value is in it's antiviral AND antibacterial properties.

I would NEVER suggest you use it to treat a serious infection.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot,  Based on the most recent articles/studies I've seen the use of oregano in the chicken farms is still experimental.    However, I applaud the owners who are taking a chance and trying this to see what the outcome will be.    It's still not clear exactly what the benefits are for people, also, but I'm glad it's being investigated.    Here's a good scientific, detailed article about some of the claims and findings a few years ago.   I only had time to look quickly...  not sure if there are newer, useful scientific findings.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/oil-of-oregano/

As with all the herbs, supplements, spices, etc., I do hope everyone will read about the potential side effects and also the drug interactions before they decide to ingest them on a regular basis.  Just because something seems "natural" doesn't mean it's safe.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@QueenDanceALot,  Based on the most recent articles/studies I've seen the use of oregano in the chicken farms is still experimental.    However, I applaud the owners who are taking a chance and trying this to see what the outcome will be.    It's still not clear exactly what the benefits are for people, also, but I'm glad it's being investigated.    Here's a good scientific, detailed article about some of the claims and findings a few years ago.   I only had time to look quickly...  not sure if there are newer, useful scientific findings.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/oil-of-oregano/

As with all the herbs, supplements, spices, etc., I do hope everyone will read about the potential side effects and also the drug interactions before they decide to ingest them on a regular basis.  Just because something seems "natural" doesn't mean it's safe.

@dooBdoo

The article is from 2011 and farmers continue to use oil of oregano.  I would guess that if they had not seen any positive results they would have stopped using it by now.

While I appreciate science, I am not going to hold my breath waiting for more definitive studies to come from the scientific community.  Who is going to fund them?

My post was in response to what I found interesting - to hear a company say in a television commercial that they actually use Oil of Oregano in their chickens' water, instead of using antibiotics.  And that led to a discussion by some here who have used this supplement with positive results (myself included).

I like you, doob, but I do not like being told that "just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safe".  I have been interested in alternative therapies for years, and never have I made such an assumption.

I remain interested in what organic and YES, natural farmers are using in place of dangerous and toxic substances in their livestock and produce.