Honored Contributor

Oil of Oregano - Antiviral and Antibacterial

[ Edited ]

I take Oregano Oil these days to ward off viruses and bacterial infections.  I had read about this several years ago and started using it back then but stopped in the last maybe 2 years.  Started up again after getting a couple nasty respiratory bugs.  

Watching TV yesterday there was a Purdue chicken commercial (I think it was Purdue) and they mentioned using Oregano in the chicken's drinking water instead of using antibiotics.

I found that very interesting!

Cluck, cluck, cluck...........

Honored Contributor

Re: Oregano as an Antibiotic

So, if I cut my finger, I should eat a chicken leg or chew some oregano? 

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I take Oregano Oil these days to ward off viruses and bacterial infections.  I had read about this several years ago and started using it back then but stopped in the last maybe 2 years.  Started up again after getting a couple nasty respiratory bugs.  

Watching TV yesterday there was a Purdue chicken commercial (I think it was Purdue) and they mentioned using Oregano in the chicken's drinking water instead of using antibiotics.

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

that is really interesting! I didn't know that. I wonder if you can just take the spice-you know the one in the jar. But information does say "oil of oregano"

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also  take it to help curb yeast.   Just ordered some about 20 minutes ago.

Since drugstore.com close couldn't find it at a good price but when on line and found a new store and trusted them because they were on Mr. Rebates.

Honored Contributor

From all I've read the studies have been done with the oil, and at a carvacrol concentration of around 70%.

It tastes terrible and you may want to dilute it in water.  I just put a few drops under my tongue and deal with it.

Cat Tongue 

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, and it should be the Wildcrafted, therapeutic grade.

WILD OIL!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

So, if I cut my finger, I should eat a chicken leg or chew some oregano? 

You could put some oregano on your chicken leg but don't come complaining to me when you get a cold.

Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

A word of caution...as with any antibiotic, taking it for prolonged periods of time can disrupt your normal flora. Seven to ten days at a time is a safe period of time to take it. If you need to take it for longer than ten days then you should also consume probiotics.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A word of caution...as with any antibiotic, taking it for prolonged periods of time can disrupt your normal flora. Seven to ten days at a time is a safe period of time to take it. If you need to take it for longer than ten days then you should also consume probiotics.

I take a probiotic, but I don't know that this is necessary when taking oil of oregano

Many people take it as a preventative supplement.  I don't know of anyone taking amoxicillin that way.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot,

Woman Happy Yes and it probably depends on how much oregano is ingested at a time. I take barberry root for my blood sugar management and it's also an antibiotic so I take it seven days on then seven days off with no problems.