Respected Contributor

Re: Off Topic. But has anyone had plantar fasciatis.

believe it or not I had to ditch my SAS shoes (I had sandals and loafers.) for Birkenstock. My SAS had NO arch support, they are just soft.

The softbed Birkenstocks after a year helped me turn the corner. SAS shoes are expensive so I kept a couple but can only wear for short periods and back to Birks. I NEVER go barefoot, that's what started everything. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beautybrowsing wrote:

I got it out of no where (after a week at the beach ) and have had it almost a year.  Would love to know how you healed yours. 

By wearing only Vionics or other shoes with an orthotic footbed that specifically is designed for over-pronators, and by NEVER, EVER going barefoot, even to potty in the wee hours. Especially, NEVER first thing out of bed. 

Mine was very bad when I realized it and took a year to be pain-free. And it can always come back again if you get lax with going barefoot or wearing shoes that don't properly address the main usual cause, i.e. pronation.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

BTW, so many mention never going barefoot but I go barefoot in the house everyday, and I work at home!  Since wearing SAS Freetime, Trio sandal, Softie loafer, and more recently the penny loafer, in approximately 16 years, I have not experienced plantar fasciitis Pain again!

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I both developed PF after a 2 week trip to Las Vegas walking too long on too many sidewalks.  I went to a podiatrist who confirmed PF and sent me to an athletic shoe store for inserts (can't remember the style).  They were around $30 and he said they were as good or better than custom orthopedics.  They worked for both DH and me.  The only other thing I do is have Chinese foot massage whenever I have the opportunity--makes my feet(and me) feel terrific.

Honored Contributor

@beautybrowsing wrote:

I got it out of no where (after a week at the beach ) and have had it almost a year.  Would love to know how you healed yours. 

yes, several times, once on both feet.

heel lifts

ice, ice and more ice

stretching every muscle group of the back side legs, Achilles tendon

never go bare foot

pick up marbles off floor using only your toes

wear only shoes that support your type of foot

pray more

hnj

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  Make sure you wear good shoes in your house.  Don't go barefooted.  Ever.  I was able to heal mine by wearing supportive shoes and going to a PT.  she told me to never wear flat shoes or slippers again.  I cringe when I see people slapping their feet against the concrete in flat shoes.  Our feet need support at all times.  Good luck.

ps. Don't wear Vionics unless you have been told that you pronate.  I suppanate, which is the opposite of pronate.  My pt gave me a prescription for the right sneakers and I bought them at a good running store. 

My my doc told me to fill a plastic coke bottle and freeze it.  Rub your foot across it while sitting in a chair. 

Honored Contributor

Seaside Shopper wrote:

BTW, so many mention never going barefoot but I go barefoot in the house everyday, and I work at home!  Since wearing SAS Freetime, Trio sandal, Softie loafer, and more recently the penny loafer, in approximately 16 years, I have not experienced plantar fasciitis Pain again!

I sometimes go barefoot around the house, but I think the really important thing is not going barefoot during the time you are trying to heal this problem.   For a long time after I probably never really went barefoot, except maybe from my bed to my bathroom at night.   

Now that it's been gone for many years I sometimes go barefoot but, to tell the truth, after the profound pain of having this problem (ugh, I remember crawling up the stairs after work!) I am a little paranoid of having it come back so I always have a pair of Birkenstocks close by. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Since I first developed PF. I have discovered that some brands make a flip flop with a good arch support ... which is what I like to wear around the house.  My Clarks and New Balance flip flops are comfy .... and good for my feet.

Valued Contributor

My poor daughter suffers with it miserably. She has a job where she is on her feet most of the day. Sometimes it is almost unbearable. She paid a fortune for inserts from a foot doc and they did not help at all. She has some less miserable days but it is a definite problem for her.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I developed p.f. about 4 or 5 years ago.  Very painful.  I did get it under control within a short period of time.  First, I went to a podiatrist.  He diagnosed me with p.f. in my right foot only!!  He recommended that I go to a good shoe store and gave me a few suggestions.  I went to the Walking Company, and left with two pairs of shoes, one pair was on my feet.  I chose Abeo thong sandals and sandals that I could walk in (not the cutest, but they work).  He, also, gave me several streetching exercises, which helped immensely.

Also, found a website called Heel that Pain (great website).  Ordered some of their shoe inserts, and read a lot of good info on their website, including how people develop these problems.  Unfortunately, you should not go barefoot, which I used to do around the house all the time.  Found Vionic and Spenco slippers which are great as a regular slipper aggravated the condition.  I buy only certain shoes, and many times wear the inserts in them.

I used to hurt quite a bit, especially when I woke up.  Now, I have it under control with the above.  I didn't go the cortizone shot route, but that was a personal choice to try to see what else would work.  I recommend reading a lot to learn about the condition.