Frequent Contributor

Off Topic. But has anyone had plantar fasciatis.

I got it out of no where (after a week at the beach ) and have had it almost a year.  Would love to know how you healed yours. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Off Topic. But has anyone had plantar fasciatis.

I treat with comfortable athletic shoes with proper support, and stay off of it as much as possible. If it gets really bad, my podiatrist tapes the arch and I leave that on for a week or so.
Respected Contributor

orthotic inserts or Easy Spirit shoes

Contributor

High arch shoes like Vionics or Birkenstocks - wear at home as well/never go barefoot or wear flat shoes.

Look up streches online - youtube - for PF and try them daily.  It especially helps to flex toes toward top of leg, standing on edge of a step and letting your heel go dow to do that stretch and putting a towel on the floor and trying to grasp with your toes.  Those 3 exercises always seemed to make my feet feel better.  I got PF out of nowhere in one foot then the other - it was awful.  It finally seemed to go away (after about 2 years).  I wear vionic slippers or birks at home all the time and never let my feet touch the floor without putting my feet in a that type of shoe.

I had orthotics made and ended up only wearing birks and vionics as I felt they were more comfy.  Buy the insole inserts for your other shoes too.

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

Yes, several times. Good orthopedic inserts and some special exercises always resolves it. You can visit a podiatrist for a prescription for the right insoles for you. I did the last time (December) and he gave me a prescription for some pre-made insoles that I picked up at a local speciality shoe store. They keep my prescription on file for a year and I don't pay taxes on the insoles whenever I buy new ones. 

You can Google search some exercises you can do, as well. There are stretches I do, as well as using a frozen bottle of water to roll under my foot, which massages and stretches the plantar fascia and helps reduce swelling.

My doctor does not recommend any of those things they sell for people to sleep in. He says I'd just kick them off. He also told me to buy different shoes. I had been wearing some of the Skechers GoWalks and he told me to stop wearing them because they don't have enough support. I bought the insoles the next day and put them into a pair of Brooks running shoes and that helped a lot.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, @beautybrowsing, my husband does.  He found a terrific foot doctor who gave him a couple of shots, advised on a better sneaker style, taped it for a bit too & most importantly, gave him stretches he does faithfully every day now.

he was lucky that all this did it for him, tho our friend got custom orthotics from his foot doctor (very expensive), which helped him.

Before going to the foot doctor, hubby tried the Dr. Scholl's. machine available at many stores, which is suppose to find you the perfect orthorthic.

they were not cheap & were of no help at all.

wishing you good luck as it is very painful.  

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Valued Contributor

Oh my gosh, yes!  I first noticed the problem after the birth of my twins 13 years ago.  It eventually resolved on its own and didn't bother me for several years.  Then one summer I decided to buy a cheap pair of flip flops.  At the time, I didn't understand how important it is to wear supportive shoes.  The PF came back with a vengence and it took me a upwards of a year to feel better.  You have to make sure you find a very good, reputable podiatrist.  I eventually ended up getting cortisone shots in my heels and that, along with wearing extremely supportive shoes, really helped.  When I was at the peak of my pain, I ended up purchasing a brand of German shoes called Finn Comfort.  They are very, very expensive, but they really helped my problem.  I specifically wore the Finnamic styles which have a kind of rocker bottom.  I had another little flare up a couple of months ago and went back to the podiatrist.  I had a custom pair of orthotics made but wasn't really wearing them.  He suggested I go back to using them and he told me that, unfortunately, my PF will flare up from time-to-time and it's probably just something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life.  Anyway, I am extremely careful about the types of shoes I wear.  It's just not worth the pain and I will not sacrifice for some crazy fashion trend.  I think the emergence of these extremely high heels is ridiculous and women who wear them (especially the really high, thin heels) are going to eventually regret their decison to wear these kinds of shoes.  Hope you can find a solution to your pain.

Trusted Contributor

Vionic slippers helped mine. 

Honored Contributor

@beautybrowsing wrote:

I got it out of no where (after a week at the beach ) and have had it almost a year.  Would love to know how you healed yours. 

That is really a long time w/o you trying to take control of it for relief.

See the suggestions mentioned in the following linked articles:

ARTICLE #1

ARTICLE #2

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Yes, tried various "ortho" type sandals but never found relief for long.  One day I was watching Steve Harvey on a show and a Podiatrist was on.  Steve asked him how to heal P.F. and he said for women to wear a 2" heel and it would go away.  Bingo, that's what worked for me when I switched to a higher heel.  Have not had the problem since.