Respected Contributor

Re: Obsessed with my Cholesterol counts...

[ Edited ]

If you don't already take fish oil or another omega supplement try that.  

if you smoke - stop.  Smoking raises it.

when I went  to a new PCP 6 yrs ago she put me on a low dose of statin because I'm diabetic.  No issues at all.  

Esteemed Contributor

Obsessing about any random number will drive you crazy.  I have friends that feel they must weigh a certain number, to the detriment of them enjoying life.  There are no magic numbers that  make you healthier, everyone is different.  If you are happy, healthy and feel good, don't  worry so much.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

My friend is in that situation.  She has no risk factors for high cholesterol and no family history that she knows of.  Her weight has been in the normal range her entire life.  Despite working out and a low fat diet, she has never been able to her total cholesterol much lower than  250.  She won't take cholesterol lowering drugs because she's been in the 240-250 range for years.  I'm the opposite.  Regardless of what I eat or how high my weight goes, my total cholesterol has always been around 150.   

Honored Contributor

I'm not happy about being on a statin, but my doctor feels like it's genetic.  We did try some OTC things before the statin.  I couldn't take Crestor, made me feel awful.  Now I'm on a generic simvastatin and everything is good. I go in once a year for a physical and all my numbers are good.  He even mentioned in my last physical, which also looks back at my previous numbers, that he didn't see diabetes in my future even though my father was diabetic.  Wish I could say the same about Ovarian cancer which killed my mother.  No tests/numbers for that, so it's a constant worry.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden 

Why the obsession  with your Cholesterol counts? I could type several books here on yours, and a few other posts in this thread. Most of those books I have mentioned chapters on this forum for a couple decades now.

Sorry you feel so strongly against all things Pharma. But you do you and hopefully it works out for you. Don't forget that genetics plays a much bigger factor than too many want to believe. 

I remember way back in the early part of the 1960's when my doctor did my first Cholesterol test. They only came back with the Total Cholesterol Number back in those ancient ages of medicine. Mine was 300 mg/dl, and that was in the Normal Range, according to my GP.

Then I started reading books written by Dr. Kenneth Cooper, written specifically about that number. What a eye opener it was, and still is, for me. It is an important component of one's overall health, but it is not the End All, BE ALL that some make it out to be.

I got my Blood Lipid readings about a month ago, and while they are much different than yours! 

Here is my Life Story! Nah!!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I totally hear you and am in the same boat. After menopause, my cholesterol went up quite a bit. My numbers are similar to yours, and I take walks every day, watch everything I eat and take the right supplements. My doctor said that the ratio was fine. I found the only thing that really, really lowered it wise to things; the Life Extension fish oil and Jillian Michaels aerobics tapes. It lowered my total cholesterol by over 20 points in a 6 week span. 

Honored Contributor

My high cholesterol is a family thing---can't take any type of statins due to severe side effects----have been taking red yeast rice, which is a plant statin--can give you the same side effects as the other statins--they didn't for me,  but not much improvement either. Tri- G's are from carbs--like white flour, bread, rice, pasta ,spuds, sugar--- helps if you reduce those yummy things---my HDL is always in the 80's anyway--another family thing too. Took Crestor for awhile -- my numbers were great--however, the side effects after a few months were too much for me. A never ending battle--will see my heart dr soon.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen  Wow! I am going to copy this! Thankyou for taking the time to explain some of the numbers to me❤️

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There was a period of time when my LDL was high enough that my doc put me on statins and the statins helped bring it down to normal but then my A1C went up to make me prediabetic! 

I had enough of that so I took it upon myself to get my numbers back to normal by chaning my diet, exercising and then later taking berberine. Now I don't take any Rx drugs whatsoever and all of my blood test numbers are normal. 

Berberine manages LDL and glucose perfectly for me. My numbers prove it.

@SilleeMee  How many MGs and what potency Berberine  do you take a day?  I have been taking 1000 mgs a day for  about a year. ( two 500 mg a day) I started taking it for helping keep blood sugar even...then you mentioned it could help cholesterol too.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I take 500mg twice or three times daily depending on what I eat. In other words if I eat three meals then it's three caps per day.