Respected Contributor

Re: Obsessed with my Cholesterol counts...

@SeaMaiden To take statins or not: that's the complicated personal choice that many have to decide. If a person really wants to manage cholesterol numbers without statins, educate yourself and work with a cardiologist.

Sounds like your diet and exercise is going well. Congratulations on your commitment and weight loss.

Think about talking to a physician. Perhaps a Zetia (non statin) type Rx or Rx Omega 3 (Lovaza) would be appropropriate for you? Sometimes a self directed OTC plan is successful but when it fails time for medical consult. Not all docs are statin happy.  I use plant sterols, polycosanols, B vitamins with diet and exercise and am successful at cholesterol management. 

Hang in there. Best wishes to you. 

Respected Contributor

I have been taking a statin for probably about 7 years with no side effects...lowering cholesterol isn't the only benefit a statin drug can also lower the risk of heart disease or stroke... 

Esteemed Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

I turned 60 in January. My cholesterol and Triglycerides were always in normal range, and I exercise a lot. BUT about a month ago, those cholesterol patches faintly showed up above 1 eye ( called Xanthelasma)-  Not pretty!   I quickly changed my diet to more plant-based and little sat fat and meat-. I haven't gotten the bloodwork redone yet- ughhh, aging. 

@Skyegirl21 Oh gosh, I have seen those on people but had no idea what they were.  That is certainly a motivation to lower one's cholesterol.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

My opinion is that your ancestry is catching up with you in spite of all the extreme things you do to be "healthy".  

I totally agree with the opinion of not letting my doctor turn me into a walking pharmacy, but to me the chemicals in supplements are no different than the chemicals in the prescription meds.  The kidneys and liver are being taxed to filter both, regardless of whether they're over the counter or prescription.  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

There was a period of time when my LDL was high enough that my doc put me on statins and the statins helped bring it down to normal but then my A1C went up to make me prediabetic! 

I had enough of that so I took it upon myself to get my numbers back to normal by chaning my diet, exercising and then later taking berberine. Now I don't take any Rx drugs whatsoever and all of my blood test numbers are normal. 

Berberine manages LDL and glucose perfectly for me. My numbers prove it.

My son says "Thank you!" His last A1C was 4.9 and he lowered his total cholesterol to 140 from 289. I really appreciate all the things I have learned from you @SilleeMee .💕💕💕

Berberine worked wonders for him. Not only helping to lower his A1C but also it helped with his familial high cholesterol.

@Trinity11 

That's so wonderful! Tell him "You're welcome" for me.Woman Happy

Berberine is the best thing that has come along for me in long time. That and my trips to my derm.Woman WinkWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

Your triglycerides are 101 .

Your HDL ( Good)  cholesterol is 71.

This is expressed as a ratio.

Your Triglycerides divided by your GOOD (HDL) cholesterol.

101 divided by 71 = ratio of 1.4

Anything below 2.0 is considered a good ratio.

Look up Triglyceride/HDL ratio online, or ask your doctor.

Here's a cite:

"Researchers have also stated that the HDL “good” cholesterol is closely related to the triglycerides.

Commonly, people with high triglycerides have a tendency to have low HDL “good” cholesterol levels.

The triglyceride/HDL “good” cholesterol ratio should be below 2.

Just remember to divide your triglyceride levels by your HDL “good” cholesterol.

In a nutshell the triglyceride/HDL level which is considered ideal is 2 or less; 4 is high and 6 or greater is considered too high. In this case it is better to have a lower ratio. The lower your triglycerides or the higher your HDL, the smaller the ratio."

Another ratio to consider is your "Good"(HDL) cholesterol to total cholesterol.

Your GOOD cholesterol ( HDL) is 71.

Your TOTAL cholesterol is 220.

HDL 71  divided by Total Chol 220 = .32  (POINT 32).

From article cite:

"In adults, the HDL “good” cholesterol/total cholesterol ratio should be higher than 0.24.

Here’s your tip: divide your HDL level by your cholesterol.

The accepted HDL/total cholesterol ratio is 0.24 or higher is considered ideal.

Under 0.24 is considered low-risk and anything less the 0.10 is considered very dangerous. In this case it is much better to have a higher ratio which means you have a lower risk of heart/cardiovascular disease.

Hope this helps. The article with these quotes is:

https://www.journal-advocate.com/2012/02/27/the-importance-of-triglyceridehdl-ratio/

But there are many many many articles on these ratios.

They don't really give enough info on blood tests, and a lot of the numbers LOOK scary until you delve deeper. Doctors know this.

Here's one more: Your "Cholesterol Ratio":

"Doctors calculate an individual's cholesterol ratio by dividing their total cholesterol by their high-density lipoprotein level.

The optimal ratio is between 3.5 and 1. A higher ratio increases the risk of heart disease."

Total cholesterol  220 divided by HDL cholesterol 71....your ratio is  3.09.

Your ratios actually look good. And, your doctor knows about these ratios and should be able to explain them better.

I agree with you not to start medication until you learn ALL you can about "scary" total cholesterol numbers, which are essentially meaningless on thier own ( as you can see).

Ratios are hard to explain to most people, because, well, math are hard to most people.

Hope this helps!!!

This ratio usually IS on your blood test results today.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles

I credited two articles, but there are many many many or them online!

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden Hello!  I am sorry to hear you are distressed about this.  The only thing I can offer is that the prevention clinic I go to would consider these numbers fine.  My cholesterol has always been over 200, but the breakdown is good.  Triglycerides are 50.  

First, your triglycerides are well below the 150 mark.  This number is a more important indicator than total cholesterol.  

Also, your HGL is really good.  

What are your homocysteine and C reactive protein numbers?  Those are also more important than the total cholesterol.  

Something to keep in mind:  my DH has a fairly good lipid panel.  Last year he had to have a chest CT with contrast.  It was for a different matter, but the pulmonologist pointed out that he has arterial plaque.  You could see it plain as day.  We brought this up to the cardiologist. He said just because you have low or normal cholesterol numbers you are not safe from having a heart attack or stroke.  Because DH is having some cardiac issues, he agreed to try Crestor.  After a few months he had to go off because of severe leg cramps.  He is now trying Pravachol 3 times a week.  If he can't tolerate it he is going to forget about it.  

We both do the fiber/phytosterol thing.  If nothing else, it keeps us regular. Woman Wink  I agree about the Pharma merry-go-round.  

I just had my labs done last week.  No results yet.  OT this clinic likes your vitamin D level to be 100.  

I hope someone here can give you some helpful suggestions.  All the best~

@tends2dogs My husband tried several statins and had muscle cramps.  Another dr. gave him an old one, fluvastatin (sp?), and he has had no issues at all. 

Honored Contributor

I also refuse statins, my good is very good, my numbers holds around 197 to 215 for the last 30 years. I do take Lessman Cholestacare, 2 with lunch and dinner, dont eat breakfast. .Also take Policosonal, Beta Glucan and Panthenine. 

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I hadn't heard about Berberine. I googled it and the reports seem pretty positive. My blood work has been creeping up a bit, so I am going to try the Berberine. Not crazy about statins.

Thank you for posting this, very helpful. I learn so much from the people on this forum.

BTW, what brand do you use? Do you take 1000 or 1500 mg/day?

dragonfly

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dragonflyveb wrote:

@SilleeMee 

I hadn't heard about Berberine. I googled it and the reports seem pretty positive. My blood work has been creeping up a bit, so I am going to try the Berberine. Not crazy about statins.

Thank you for posting this, very helpful. I learn so much from the people on this forum.

BTW, what brand do you use? Do you take 1000 or 1500 mg/day?

dragonfly

@Dragonflyveb 

You're welcome.

I take one 500mg cap, twice daily with food and sometimes I take 3 caps a day depending on what I eat. I buy mine from PipingRock dot com, their brand. 

ETA -

I'm thinking about switching brands b/c that one is getting expensive. They've gone up in price a lot since I started taking those. Probably switch to Simple-Organics brand from Amazon.