Honored Contributor

Obsessed with my Cholesterol counts...

[ Edited ]

I have been doing a life extention blood test for my cholestrol levels every four months over the past year ever since my yearly physical blood work up showed high cholestrol at 249.  I have NEVER had high cholestrol in my life. Just seems since turning 60ish and past menopause it has become an issue.  

I will and  had have been doing ANYTHING to help lower it...

I take about 10 different supplements ( many mentioned here on this wellness chat board) lost almost 20 pounds and I watch every food I eat... NEVER eat fried food, red meat, watch my fats...  only fat free dairy... I eat the healthy fats when I eat them on occation... I know what to eat  and not  to eat...

The good thing is that over the last 8 months, my total cholestrol   has dropped 10 points. But, still remains  on the high side.  My Tryglycerides are not bad... and my good cholestrol has improved too....

Cholesterol, Total 220    High mg/dL 

Triglycerides 101 mg/dL                    

HDL Cholesterol 71 mg/dL                   

VLDL Cholesterol Cal 18 mg/dL           

LDL Chol Calc (NIH) 131 High

I guess I will start to exercise even more... that is about all I can think of to offset my high cholestrol levels...

I WILL NOT  take statins or become a victim of the Pharmacutical industry... where one drug leads only to othe issues and problems that they give you MORE DRUGS FOR.

Anyone else have this issue with high cholestrol that no matter what you do it does not lower very much?

l

Trusted Contributor

Re: Obsessed with my Cholesterol counts...

Yes,  mine has slowly creeped up mostly due to heredity.  It was just too high (almost 300) to not start a statin.  Eating well and working out was not helping.  Once I started taking Crestor it went below 200.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden    You say you'll do a y thing to drop your cholesterol then say you won't take statins.

My doctor recommended statins years ago.  My Cholesterol dropped like a rock.  I've never had the slightest side-effect.

Big pharma is not your enemy.  You read too much negative junk.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I turned 60 in January. My cholesterol and Triglycerides were always in normal range, and I exercise a lot. BUT about a month ago, those cholesterol patches faintly showed up above 1 eye ( called Xanthelasma)-  Not pretty!   I quickly changed my diet to more plant-based and little sat fat and meat-. I haven't gotten the bloodwork redone yet- ughhh, aging. 

Honored Contributor

I've been on a statin for many, many years.  No issues, thus far.  Works for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden Hello!  I am sorry to hear you are distressed about this.  The only thing I can offer is that the prevention clinic I go to would consider these numbers fine.  My cholesterol has always been over 200, but the breakdown is good.  Triglycerides are 50.  

First, your triglycerides are well below the 150 mark.  This number is a more important indicator than total cholesterol.  

Also, your HGL is really good.  

What are your homocysteine and C reactive protein numbers?  Those are also more important than the total cholesterol.  

Something to keep in mind:  my DH has a fairly good lipid panel.  Last year he had to have a chest CT with contrast.  It was for a different matter, but the pulmonologist pointed out that he has arterial plaque.  You could see it plain as day.  We brought this up to the cardiologist. He said just because you have low or normal cholesterol numbers you are not safe from having a heart attack or stroke.  Because DH is having some cardiac issues, he agreed to try Crestor.  After a few months he had to go off because of severe leg cramps.  He is now trying Pravachol 3 times a week.  If he can't tolerate it he is going to forget about it.  

We both do the fiber/phytosterol thing.  If nothing else, it keeps us regular. Woman Wink  I agree about the Pharma merry-go-round.  

I just had my labs done last week.  No results yet.  OT this clinic likes your vitamin D level to be 100.  

I hope someone here can give you some helpful suggestions.  All the best~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

My cholesterol is similar to yours. I eat well, have always exercised (I'm 5'3" 120#).

My family has high cholesterol. It's hereditary. 
Many many millions of people take statins.

My mom won't take statins either.  I will add that if you eventually get heart disease (my dad died on a heart attack) you may become a "victim to the pharmaceutical industry" anyway.

Reminds me of people who wouldn't get the Covid shot - got Covid - went to dr begging to be injected with monoclonal antibodies. 

Honored Contributor

There was a period of time when my LDL was high enough that my doc put me on statins and the statins helped bring it down to normal but then my A1C went up to make me prediabetic! 

I had enough of that so I took it upon myself to get my numbers back to normal by chaning my diet, exercising and then later taking berberine. Now I don't take any Rx drugs whatsoever and all of my blood test numbers are normal. 

Berberine manages LDL and glucose perfectly for me. My numbers prove it.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden @Kachina624 

Back when DH first had serious heart issues ( now stents over 12 ), the doctors recommended low fat diet.

In addition to his long followed exercise routine of daily jogging or weights, he began to cook and eat very low fat.  His cholesterol went up.  They then attributed the high cholesterol to genetics and put him on statins.

The cholesterol dropped to recommended levels.  Almost 30 years later, he is still on statins and has had successful ablation for Afib.  Since he is 80, he now bikes or walks or does weights for exercise.  He is careful in his diet.

Statins are an effective tool when used wisely.  The choice to control cholesterol is yours.  There are several different kinds of statins....your doctor knows your background and can recommend what will work in your situation.

Please do not misled by some " Big Pharma "-slanted news items.  Yes, there are issues; however, the usefulness of statins in certain situations cannot be denied.

Good Luck.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There was a period of time when my LDL was high enough that my doc put me on statins and the statins helped bring it down to normal but then my A1C went up to make me prediabetic! 

I had enough of that so I took it upon myself to get my numbers back to normal by chaning my diet, exercising and then later taking berberine. Now I don't take any Rx drugs whatsoever and all of my blood test numbers are normal. 

Berberine manages LDL and glucose perfectly for me. My numbers prove it.

My son says "Thank you!" His last A1C was 4.9 and he lowered his total cholesterol to 140 from 289. I really appreciate all the things I have learned from you @SilleeMee .💕💕💕

Berberine worked wonders for him. Not only helping to lower his A1C but also it helped with his familial high cholesterol.