Honored Contributor

Re: OVER 65 ~ DO YOU STILL GET PAP TESTS??

@tends2dogs 

I forgot what the new OBGYN said! 

I’m 67 and had the full deal including PAP in March!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I make decisions about medical tests. My MD does not run my life.

Valued Contributor

My mother was in her late 80's and her GYN was still recommending Pap tests! Of course she always went until she couldn't drive anymore - at 89 I finally convinced her she could skip it, She had very good insurance an she allowed doctors to take advantage of that IMO

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I'm 68 & had a hysterectomy in '93, but I'm still on a very low dose estradiol patch, so my gyn has me come in for a pelvic exam & pap (even though I no longer have a cervix) every 2 years when he renews my Rx for the patch.  He has no problem with me being on the patch all this time & I've never had an abnormal pap & I get an annual mammogram.

When I booked my appointment I asked the girl on the line about how often for a pap etc......she said that if you are on any type hormone replacement therapy, they recommend every year for a pap and pelvic.  I no longer take hormones and haven't for quite a few years.  I figure that it will be recommended that I still have a pelvic exam.  I only have Thermograms.  I haven't had a mammogram for years.

I think my gyn would actually like to see me once a year, but the way he writes my Rx for the patches is a 90 day supply with (I think) 7 refills, so by the time the refills are used, it ends up being every 2 years!

Plus, Medicare only covers the test every 2 years.

Esteemed Contributor

They quit those years ago for me.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@tends2dogs 

My Dr. said that the recommendation now was no more Pap smears after age 65, provided that you'd never had an abnormal pap smear.

He said that studies showed there was a greater risk of infection after 65, which is when I had my last one.

That's something to look forward to then (only in 50's)!

Respected Contributor

@staciesmom wrote:

My mother was in her late 80's and her GYN was still recommending Pap tests! Of course she always went until she couldn't drive anymore - at 89 I finally convinced her she could skip it, She had very good insurance an she allowed doctors to take advantage of that IMO

This reminded me of my Grandmother!  My Mom (her daughter) insisted that my Grandma get her 1st exam/pap and mamo at age 92!  LOL My Mom couldn't believe her Mom hadn't gotten examined down there since she gave birth to her LOL!  That would be age 21 for my Grandma....well it didn't go well to say the least.  Very painful....and the doctor told my Mom to NEVER bring her back in for any tests again....she was totally fine all these yrs and would be so from now on LOL!  

I had to convince my Mom at the age of 80 that it was OK to skip her yearly exam...since she was in and out of the hospital and seeing other doctors for her chronic COPD and lung infections.  

I do think there comes a time when we could skip this exam/pap....and my Grandma had her parts but my Mom had a partial hysterectomy.  

Honored Contributor

I have never had a bad pap test and I stopped about 60 yrs old, and I have all my plumbing, and I am now 70!

Trusted Contributor

This is interesting. When I turned 50, I called our hospital to see if I needed to schedule a PAP. They said no, I don't need to after 50. That's been 6 years. They never said anything about it during that time. Of course, now they got rid of our doctors, so I don't think I even have one now. (It's a military hospital, so we get very basic care.)

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

This is interesting. When I turned 50, I called our hospital to see if I needed to schedule a PAP. They said no, I don't need to after 50. That's been 6 years. They never said anything about it during that time. Of course, now they got rid of our doctors, so I don't think I even have one now. (It's a military hospital, so we get very basic care.)

Very, very poor medical advice, 50 is way too early to stop PAP tests.