Esteemed Contributor

Re: OVER 65 ~ DO YOU STILL GET PAP TESTS??

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Last one was probably 25 years ago.  

Years ago, my GP told me to avoid doctors .... I took her advice. 

I only go when I'm sick .... or my for my annual hearing exam, bi-annual eye exam, or semi-annual dentist.

@ALRATIBA 

So, let me run this by you.

As we age, so does our immune system.  This includes our body's ability to deal or cope with cells which have mutated.  "Mutated" cells in the cervix, uterus, ovaries, etc., can be silent killers.

Though we're just scientifically making break-throughs into the detection of ovarian cancer, the most silent killer of all, having a PAP smear every two years has saved countless lives regarding the detection of cervical and some uterine cancers.

In this day and age, I simply do not understand the 19th century statement made by your GP.  Your GP, by the way, IS a doctor!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@tends2dogs   If you're 65+ and on medicare, medicare thinks it's okay for women to NOT do this test at 5yr intervals. This means they only pay for our paps every 5 years. My NP who I see indicates for her it's good to do every 3 years. I see her every year as I always have, this year again we chatted about this & medicare. While she still examined me, we did not do the actual pap test.

That's not true.  Medicare covers exams (pelvic and breast), and pap test every 2 years.  It's every year for high risk patients.  

(Screening mammograms are covered every year.)

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

Re: OVER 65 ~ DO YOU STILL GET PAP TESTS?? UPDATE

I am bumping this thread due to the info I learned today at my annual checkup.    

I will continue to see my GYN provider yearly, due to my pre and early stage squamous skin cancers.  There is a higher risk for vaginal cancers with any type of skin cancer.    

So while my cervical cancer risk is lower, my skin cancer history and the presence of female parts still require the dreaded yearly visit.   ☹️

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for this info, @RedTop .  You learn something new everyday.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

Just started with a new doctor since my doctor retired in July last minute.  Looked for a new one and I hope this one works out for me.  She told me after 70 she won't do pap test unless there is an issue.     Don't know if this is her thing or the insurance....I have had abnormal results so I quess I will be going on forever... UGH....

Esteemed Contributor

They quit giving them at about 65.

Honored Contributor

@hondagirl wrote:

Just started with a new doctor since my doctor retired in July last minute.  Looked for a new one and I hope this one works out for me.  She told me after 70 she won't do pap test unless there is an issue.     Don't know if this is her thing or the insurance....I have had abnormal results so I quess I will be going on forever... UGH....

@hondagirl      Insurance companies are why this was decided.... you can still request a PAP... and it might save your life.  They feel after A CERTAIN AGE we are no longer relevent or necessary...... one foot in the grave is what doctors call patients over 65.  Sad but true.....