Valued Contributor

Re: OTC med for mouth ulcer?

@hckynut 

I feel your pain with these sores - but, if you can, try the L-Lysine - taking 2 a day will usually clear them up within one or two days -

As I said before,  taking L-Lysine daily has greatly reduced the few times I now get them (for some reason, right after my annual visit to the dentist).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coco14 ,  

Thank you for this suggestion. I just ordered a bottle of 1,000mg tablets from Amazon. Next time I feel this coming on I will give them a try. Will let you know how they work for me, but!!! Hopefully I won't need them for a loooong time.    =^..^=

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I take L -lysine tablets for several years now ,really keeps cold sores away.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Many years ago, like 40, the drugstore used to give me silver nitrate sticks.  They were like a big match and would cauterize those sores in a heartbeat.  No way will they give them to you now.  

Trusted Contributor

I too take Lysine, it does the trick.  Take one almost every day...the mouth sores really hurt.  Try it I don't think you'll be sorry.

Honored Contributor

+1 for Glyoxide.  My dentist recommended it to me as well many years ago.

I always keep a bottle around just in case.  I just replaced mine last week because it expired a while ago.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

[ Edited ]

glyoxide is my go-to treatment as well, sold over the counter, apply directly to canker sore, swish around mouth and spit out. works rapidly to relieve irritation and heal quickly

Respected Contributor

I get  mouth issues, too, when I fall asleep with some cheek in the way of my teeth.

It has never amounted to anything that doesn't clear up quickly.

But I'm a lot more wary these days after having a relative around age 40 undergo serious  tongue, cheek and lymph node removal,  followed by reconstruction,  and weeks of painful radiation.

No other reason  was given for his tongue sore that steadily worsened and turned out to be  cancer, other than a vague  explanation that it was a "genetic mutation"--whatever that means.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Gly-Oxide. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nanny24  For myself and acid related issues, I use baking soda. For other sore mouth issues, a small amount of hydrogen peroxide diluted with 1/2 water, swished in mouth for one minute (not swallowed) then spit out. This will usually clear up any issues that I have in a couple of days if done a couple times a day, especially before bedtime. Not fun, but works for me.