Honored Contributor

Re: OTC med for mouth ulcer?

With acid outbreaks from eating things like tomatoes, you can dab them with buttermilk which is a base.

Esteemed Contributor

Warm salt water rinse

Respected Contributor

My dentist told me years ago - rinse with warm salt water first....the follow up with Listerine...(which I diluted)...works for me every time.

Esteemed Contributor

Orajel

Honored Contributor

Zinc lozenges w/ vitamin C. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had one of those once. Thought I was going to end up with an abscessed tooth. The dentist told me to use Gly-Oxide. I also use it around my gums on teeth I have crowns when my gums bother me. I wash my hands & put a little on my finger & massage in on the area.

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 

i use Borax dissolved in water and swish.

Borax is an alkaline mineral and seems to quickly neutralize acidic conditions like this.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

A dab of baking soda has always worked for me.  I don't get them much, but I can remember tomatoes bring one on occasionally!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nanny24 

I seem to get these frequently after I had my upper teeth surgically removed. Why, none of my doctors or dentist, seem to know why. What works best for me is pretty simple and cheap. Hot, not warm, water with salt mixed into it and I close my mouth and swish it around.

I don't get 1, I have had much of my upper gums covered with them. They burn with warm drinks and acidic fruits. Usually get past the worst stage in a couple or 3 days, then just slowly disappear. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Alum - I think it is used for pickling?  It is sold by the spices.  It smarts when you dab it on but it does shrink and heal them.