Super Contributor

Alteril is excellent.    You can get at drug store or on Amazon.  All natural..

Respected Contributor

@froggy wrote:

Doxylamine succinate, Costco sleep aid is effective and cheap. Try melatonin.

@froggy wrote:

Doxylamine succinate, Costco sleep aid is effective and cheap. Try melatonin.

I've used this and only needed 1/2 tab for a full, good night's sleep.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

If you are a vivid dreamer and want to try melatonin, start with a small dosage.  I've tried it a few times over the years as I'm a terrible sleeper and it gives me crazy nightmares.  My husband takes it and likes it, but he never remembers his dreams so it doesn't affect him like it affects me.

Benadryl works ok for me, but it makes me very sluggish in the morning and I only take it at night if my allergies are really bothering me.  I have a prescription for Lunesta which works well (and doesn't lead to sleep eating, etc. like Ambien did), however, I only use it on the nights where I'm still awake at 3am and have to get up for work.  I try not to use it more than once a week.

I have been a terrible sleeper for most of my life and after menopause it's worse than ever.  I've tried everything under the book, pills, teas, magnesium drinks, meditation, relaxation techniques, weighted blanket, sound machines, etc.  It's a struggle that I've resigned myself to having the rest of my life.

Honored Contributor

Benadryl works as does a liquid called Dream Water which I get on Amazon and it works wonders for me, I take 1/2 the bottle and I am asleep with in 20 minutes and usually sleep the whole night

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I must be the only person who doesn't like melatonin.  When I am up the next morning I feel really weird ...  and drugged ...  and not in a good way.  

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Benadryl works as does a liquid called Dream Water which I get on Amazon and it works wonders for me, I take 1/2 the bottle and I am asleep with in 20 minutes and usually sleep the whole night

@I am still oxox 

Oh yeah .... forgot about that one.  Most antihistamines make people sleepy, so it's probably a good choice ...  especially if you have allergies.  

Valued Contributor

I take 2 AL sleep vitamins and 1 AL magnesium vitamin.  Also, rub One Good thing by Jillian sleeping oil on the souls of my feet.      

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi