Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! I'm so tired of this medicine being PUSHED for .....

I have an elderly aunt who always insisted on antibiotics until she got C diff and the doc told her it was from all the antibiotics she insisted on all these years. After that ordeal, she doesn't insist on antibiotics as the first choice for a cure.

Honored Contributor

The message definitely IS, if you feel sad and have difficulty doing  everyday tasks, then you need to take a drug.

Drugs should NOT be advertised on TV or anywhere else.

Honored Contributor

Those drug commercials are really scary ... the side effects are often worse than the disease they are supposed to treat!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  couldn't agree with you more!

I know it's a serious subject but this poor woman can't catch a break. A bed full of laundry...how fulfilling can one's life get!

If she's lucky, The Very Caring Man takes her to the dr and basically asks "can you fix her"!?

Fast forward and now she's better and can work 40 hrs a week AND still get that laundry done now that Big Pharma is helping her.

Why are there no depressed men being portrayed?

Trusted Contributor

I hate these commercials!  The worse thing they ever did was allow them to,be on TV.  They all should be yanked off and maybe the cost of prescription drugs would go down. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the commercials that show the drug takers so happy....flowers...smiles.... catchy music....and you hear them read off all the side effects....including DEATH.....

Gosh just DEATH?   Oh  then I will take  two please🙂

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Who loves to wash clothes?

So, I'm wondering what Dr would give someone anti-depression medicine when a person comes in and says, "I hate doing laundry and I hate going to work".

Wow.

This is highly insensitive.

I echo many before me....depression is REAL, very real.

I might suggest reading about depression for some insight & understanding.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I love the commercials that show the drug takers so happy....flowers...smiles....and you hear them read off all the side effects....including DEATH.....

Gosh just DEATH?   Oh  then I will take  two please🙂

@SeaMaiden. Many many meds say death as the final side effect. They need to cover themselves. I think you have a better chance of getting hit by a bus.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 

I've shared my story here many times about my diagnosis of Clinical Depression and Anxiety/Panic Disorder, so won't go into that here.

I see all kinds of commercials connected to about every medical problem known to most. Since we DVR every show we watch, using the "commercial skip function" is used at least 95% of the time. 

No I have not suggested any prescription meds to any of my large team of doctors. I have however talked with several of them about changing or quitting a few. I explained why, and they understood my reasons, and agreed with my purpose for the changes made.

I personally don't care what they use in commercials, mainly because I follow my regular path in life. That being "if I have no control of it, why waste my time and energy on it"?

For me I will always be "recovering " from these mental issues, along with several addictions that I so far have been able to keep mostly under control.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

It's a commercial, you are taking it too seriously and too literally.  Commercials tap into emotions and that one (which I haven't seen) wants the attention of people who have been diagnosed with depression and are on medication.  They want to insert  "this will work so much better than what you are taking, ask your doctor about it"  into their brains.  That's the intent of all of those drug commercials.  I have a friend who is physician and she said many times that she hates those commercials because patients really do demand that she prescribe XXX because they saw it on tv.  They don't know what XXX is or the effectivenss or the safety of it or if it's even recommened for their case but they have seen a 60 second commercial and they want it.  They want that "new" medication just like they want that "new" cell phone or that "new" refrigerator.  Good doctors don't let patients prescribe their own medications.  Having said that, if I was on a medication that wasn't working well for me or had side effects and I saw a commercial on tv for a new drug;  I certainly would not hesitate to ASK my doctor what she thought about it and if she thought it would benefit me.