Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! I'm so tired of this medicine being PUSHED for .....

I've never suggested any drugs to a doctor, but I have on several occasions emailed them and told them I'm tossing the rest of the prescription they gave me because the side-effects were terrible.

Back in the 1970s, my late husband had some awful side effects to prescripton meds ... and the doctor gave him additional meds to deal with the side effects of the first ones!  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I've never suggested any drugs to a doctor, but I have on several occasions emailed them and told them I'm tossing the rest of the prescription they gave me because the side-effects were terrible.

Back in the 1970s, my late husband had some awful side effects to prescripton meds ... and the doctor gave him additional meds to deal with the side effects of the first ones!  

Many have been there. Many doctors don't care about anything but the specific "ailment" they're treating, too. They just pile on meds without regard to the other meds being used. It can be a nasty rabbit hole. 

Sometimes, it's better to pare back and make lifestyle changes. Some people take meds to compensate for consequences of poor diet and lack of exercise. Then, they continue their poor choices hoping the meds will take care of everything. Medications are, often, necessary. But, they're not magic. You have to help yourself, too and not work against them and your body. 

But, that's different than mental health issues. I don't believe those are usually treated with big cocktails of meds. They're pretty specific, targeted and controlled. Or, at least, they should be. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree....big pharma keeps pushing anti-depressants with horrendous side-effects. There are many people who absolutely need them....but to almost advertise and upsell is ridiculous. My other pet peeve is on FaceBook.....Consumer Reports keeps pushing the Shingrix vaccine daily. Some will haave it, some won't. That's a personal choice - but they push that one almost daily, which I find repetitive. 

Honored Contributor

I don’t buy anything that’s advertised on TV, most specifically drugs.  IMO, it’s exactly the same as pushing drugs on the street and should be illegal.

Now I see Big Pharma actually advertising themselves in a new commercial.  

The money spent on TV advertising should be going into research for cures, not pushing halfway measures to “control” symptoms. I note especially biologic drugs which cannot cure autoimmune diseases and have toxic side effects. 

I wish the viewing public would wake up to this constant brainwashing.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Regular Contributor

The Pharma commercials are getting more menacing. What about the one with the manic bipolar girl who orders multiple cameras in the middle of the night and they show up days later and she has no idea where they came from?

There was another terrifying one this year and I can't think of the premise, but I think so many people complained, that they took it off the air shortly afterwards.

Respected Contributor

If you are not sick........just watch TV! In one day you could be!😱
Respected Contributor

Clearly the OP has no understanding how devastating depression can be and has not lost anyone to depression. Sadly, this is not an uncommon attitude. 'If it doesn't afftect me, it doesn't matter OMG!!!!!!! We need a whole lot more education on emotional and mental illnesses and need to stop shaming those afflicted.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Clearly the OP has no understanding how devastating depression can be and has not lost anyone to depression. Sadly, this is not an uncommon attitude. 'If it doesn't afftect me, it doesn't matter OMG!!!!!!! We need a whole lot more education on emotional and mental illnesses and need to stop shaming those afflicted.

@reiki604   Agree.  One of my nieces committed suicide after battling depression for years.  While these commercials may not always show depression in a clinical and professional light, it is important that anybody out there know that they are not alone.

The push for meds is always put on the blame of big pharma; whether a commercial or chatting here or in RL-there will always be some folks who THINK that they can identify with every mood, every ache, every symptom.

And right away we will see posters "advising" about what meds they take which is just as bad as watching a commercial.

One cannot bash the commercials/big pharma then turn around and post about the meds they take which in turn can lead to another poster asking their doctor for the same thing.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I don't think a 60 second blurb on tv is the way to get a message across or adequately discuss symptoms about something as serious as depression.  It ends up making light of the situation in many instances.

Respected Contributor

All the drug ads are awful and I hate them. I think the one being described here sounds awful as well.