Respected Contributor

I have a lot of health challenges and recently I acquired one more: restless leg syndrome. It's just horrendous, the horrible feeling that I have to move my legs. Usually it's "just" at bedtime but it's starting to hit me during the day too--though not too often. As far as I can tell, there isn't much that can be done so I just have to tough it out. Oh dear God!

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

I have a lot of health challenges and recently I acquired one more: restless leg syndrome. It's just horrendous, the horrible feeling that I have to move my legs. Usually it's "just" at bedtime but it's starting to hit me during the day too--though not too often. As far as I can tell, there isn't much that can be done so I just have to tough it out. Oh dear God!

There are medications to help relieve it. Ask your doctor 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Have you checked your ferritin level? Oftentimes, ferritin under 100 can cause RLS.  Something CAN be done if due to iron deficiency. 

Respected Contributor

Mj12, that's a good idea. A while back my doctor took me off iron supplementation; I'll talk to her and ask if she thinks I should re-start it.

Regular Contributor

CVS sells a jar of relaxing leg cream.  Very cheap and it works !   Felinemom

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  Don't give up!  Ask you doctor about what you can do to relieve it.  My mom has it and she takes Ecotrin each night (over the counter), and I believe that it helps her a lot.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Mj12, that's a good idea. A while back my doctor took me off iron supplementation; I'll talk to her and ask if she thinks I should re-start it.

@GoneButNotForgotten  Good luck. IMO most doctors know less than nothing about optimal iron levels.  Also might want to check your B12

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Talk to your doctor.  Not the worst medical condition but maybe one of the most annoying.  It can be dispensed with using certain medications.  I have had it for decades.

Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  I feel for you. I have this, too. It drives you a little crazy. Will be following for any help. That cream sounds promising. 

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten  I feel for you. I have this, too. It drives you a little crazy. Will be following for any help. That cream sounds promising. 

@Renata22 @GoneButNotForgotten 

Have you asked your doctor about a prescription for it.  There is medication you can take for this and if you have insurance to cover prescriptions, costs very little.