Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday  Yes, I actually did get a script for that medicine. I never took it because the side effects look worse than the condition. I'm so bad about taking medicine. Thanks, though.

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

@Nonametoday  Yes, I actually did get a script for that medicine. I never took it because the side effects look worse than the condition. I'm so bad about taking medicine. Thanks, though.

@Renata22 

All medication has side effects and aspirin can kill you.  You can bleed to death from it.  You can get a toxic fever from its overuse and die.  You can get fatal kidney disease from the use of it.  What about penicillin?  It can be fatal.  You can fall dead from a shot within seconds of receiving it. 

That medication is far less dangerous but because of so many law suits, every thought-of or unthought-of complication has to be addressed in the literature.  Walking outside is dangerous.  Riding a bicycle can be fatal.  Shaking my head.

Honored Contributor

I rely on OTC meds for my restless legs. One brand is Hyland's.  I don't recall the other one, but it's a calming cream for restless legs.  I have found that the OTC meds, whichever I try, all provide temporary relieff. I get mine from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Get those legs moving! I walk to relieve my restless leg syndrome. No excuses. WALK, WALK, WALK. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday Yes, I know the thing about the side effects. I know how the trials for meds work. If I have to take a medicine, I do. Thank God, the risks I am willing to take are still my choice.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Get those legs moving! I walk to relieve my restless leg syndrome. No excuses. WALK, WALK, WALK. Woman Happy

I walked an average of 15k steps per day and still had restless leg due to low iron. So just stop it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Mj12, that's a good idea. A while back my doctor took me off iron supplementation; I'll talk to her and ask if she thinks I should re-start it.

@GoneButNotForgotten  Good luck. IMO most doctors know less than nothing about optimal iron levels.  Also might want to check your B12

@Mj12 

My suggestion for anyone truly concerned about their  blood Iron levels, would be to see a Hematologist. I have been seeing one on a regular basis since 2008, when my Colon bleeding issues ensued.

Saw my Hematologist 2 weeks ago for a regular scheduled blood workup, which included blood drawn for Iron Ferritin readings.

In your other post you say if under 100 it might be a cause for RLS. In the 15 years I have had my Ferritin checked quarterly, I have never seen it anywhere close to 100. My last reading was 60 and I was overjoyed hearing that number. My prior reading was 32, just 2 points shy of needing another of my 30+ Iron Infusions.

Also fortunately for me, during that same visit I had him look at my left arm. It was 2 weeks post my Heart Cath, and my arm had just started bothering me a couple days prior to my long scheduled Hematology visit. He immediately sent me to have a Doppler Ultrasound, and found I had a Blood Clot in my arm.

Hopefully @GoneButNotForgotten will see a Hematologist and make sure all their Iron Readings are not deficient. It would be a wise move irregardless of it's possible relationship with RLS.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: OMG, I can't stand this

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn yes I see a hematologist also, since 2015. Regarding ferritin, I'm referring to optimal levels, not "normal" ranges indicated on a blood test.

(my highest ferritin has been 93 recently after Feraheme infusions). Started with ferritin 4.  Still not over 100 but I try!

Respected Contributor

Andrew Lessman Circulation and Vein Support supplement eliminated my RLS.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  I've had restless arms/legs for several years.  Every month, my doc prescribes 2 Xanax (1/2 mg. each).  And I only take 1/2 of that, so it's about 1/4 of a 1 mg. pill.  I'm asleep within 15-20 minutes.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!