Esteemed Contributor

ODD SYMPTOMS ~ NO ANSWERS, YET: UPDATE

[ Edited ]

Here is the condensed version:

DH began experiencing pain in his back that radiated around both sides, not unlike muscle strain.  This was the beginnning of June.  He is extremely active doing home projects, lawn mowing, pool cleaning, and walking 5 miles a day.  He is 73 years old.  We just thought he had strained his back and it would go away.  It didn't.  We headed north for the summer and the drive home was excrutiating to his back.  While standing and laying down, there is no pain - only sitting.  Shortly after getting back for the summer, a new symtom started.  He began belching while sitting.  It didn't matter if his stomach was empty or full.  It didn't matter what he ate.  After realizing that it wasn't letting up, he went to the ER.  They did labs, urinalysis, and a CT scan with contrast.  Nothing showed up. They sent him home with Naprosyn (no help) and to follow up with his PCP.  We saw him this week and he is scheduled for an ultrasound on Tuesday. 

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?  The Dr spent an hour with him - examining him and asking many many questions .  I think he was flumuxed, too. 

I wanted to throw this out on the forum hoping it may ring a bell with someone.  Any ideas???

DH had an ultrasound this morning.  They just called and said it is gallstones. We have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning to discuss further.

Gallstones anyone??

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ODD SYMPTOMS ~ NO ANSWERS, YET

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs   DH & I have back issues.We’ve been through it all.This sounds like some sort of sprain or muscle pull that only kicks in when your husband is in a sitting position.It may have something to do with his posture.He may benefit from some physical therapy.It helped my DH.

JMO but I think the belching is a separate issue.That has to do with excess gas.Perhaps something like tums or phayzime would help.Your husband could have acid reflux, where the stomach acid backs up.

Honored Contributor

Several years ago I pulled something in my back.  I had pain when sitting and in order to be comfortable I found sitting hunched over felt best but doing that caused me to belch so it could be his posture while sitting due to the pain.

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of back issues.  Sitting a lot makes it worse.  I have low back pain especially and was told I have a disk issue.  I also have the sciatic pain which goes down the side of the buttocks and leg.  I alternate between using heat and ice --- both of which seem to give me some relief.  Also those little drug store "tens" things help a bit, too.  When I get really, really bad, I have to get chiropractic help.  But I would not do that until your husband gets further testing.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

OMG! Back in February, my hubby had pains we thought were kidney stones. When they got severe we went to ER. They diagnosed him as low back pain. All labs and x-ray were normal. The next two days were a nightmare!! Hiccups/belching started and these got to the point where he was getting short of breath. We saw fam doctor. They placed him on an over the counter gas pill. Still this got worse. Back to the doctor office. This doctor sent him for a CT of his abdomen. To EVERYONES surprise he had pneumonia deep in his left lung which showed up. He then had a CT of the chest and the pneumonia was more clear. This was irritating his diaphragm which was causing the hiccups/belching. He was admitted to the hopsital because his sodium level was severely low and to treat the pneumonia. Keep in mind he had NO cold symptoms...no running nose, no congestion, no coughing and his White count was Normal. 

Hubby is fine now after treatment; however, No One was expecting to find this. His symptoms were totally out of the norm.

Honored Contributor

I’ve always said, if I’m on my deathbed & can only utter 3 words, 

they won’t be “I Love You’ but...

Check For Parasites!”

I’ve seen too many of those parasite shows on TV where they

search & search and the patient gets more & more uncomfortable

when it was a parasite deep in the body.

The bleching part made me write this & especially since he’s outside

so much...there’s a chance something got inhaled. Don’t know where

to take this, but it wouldn’t hurt to mention to the doctor since it

remains a questionable case. 

Honored Contributor

Could be so many things from a hiatal hernia, GERD, gastritis, uclers.  I would not let some of these scary ideas suggested here scare you and hubby.  Im sure your doctor will get to the bottom of it all.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  It does sound like it would be a sprain, but DH can't remember an actual incident when he did it.  Usually, you know the moment you pull something in your back.  Also, the doctor said that after two months it would be showing improvement.  If nothing shows up in further testing,  he may have to try PT.

He has tried all the gas/acid meds and received no relief.

Thanks for your ideas!

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have a lot of back issues.  Sitting a lot makes it worse.  I have low back pain especially and was told I have a disk issue.  I also have the sciatic pain which goes down the side of the buttocks and leg.  I alternate between using heat and ice --- both of which seem to give me some relief.  Also those little drug store "tens" things help a bit, too.  When I get really, really bad, I have to get chiropractic help.  But I would not do that until your husband gets further testing.  

@AngelPuppy1  He went to the chiropractor twice and it did nothing to improve or worsen it. 

Hopefully we get to the bottom of this soon!

Esteemed Contributor

@klajfakj wrote:

OMG! Back in February, my hubby had pains we thought were kidney stones. When they got severe we went to ER. They diagnosed him as low back pain. All labs and x-ray were normal. The next two days were a nightmare!! Hiccups/belching started and these got to the point where he was getting short of breath. We saw fam doctor. They placed him on an over the counter gas pill. Still this got worse. Back to the doctor office. This doctor sent him for a CT of his abdomen. To EVERYONES surprise he had pneumonia deep in his left lung which showed up. He then had a CT of the chest and the pneumonia was more clear. This was irritating his diaphragm which was causing the hiccups/belching. He was admitted to the hopsital because his sodium level was severely low and to treat the pneumonia. Keep in mind he had NO cold symptoms...no running nose, no congestion, no coughing and his White count was Normal. 

Hubby is fine now after treatment; however, No One was expecting to find this. His symptoms were totally out of the norm.

Wow, @klajfakj, that was quite the ordeal.  They were able to see DH's lower lungs on the CT.  They were clear.  I am hoping the ultrasound will give a clearer picture of what is going on.

Hope your DH and you are doing fine!