Honored Contributor

Re: OCan an infection go away without antibiotics

What are you waiting for???

Get it properly treated!!!

Honored Contributor

If you wait too long....your jaw will swell and you will not be able to open your mouth for them to get in to take care of the tooth.  That happened to me with a tooth that died and I needed a root canal...thank god I got in there when I did as I could barely open my mouth from the swelling🙁

Honored Contributor

Be upfront with the dentist/oral surgeon and the assistant(s) about your extreme fear.  Don't hold back how frightened you are about any needed procedure.  They deal with this with a lot of people, not just you.  You probably will find that they can be very accommodating with ways to keep you as calm and painless as possible.

If I have to see my dentist for any procedure other than a cleaning, the minute I sit down in the chair the assistant turns on the nitrous oxide to help me calm down.  They know me well!😆

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee 

Some infections can kill you. I spent 7+ days in the hospital on several different Antibiotic IV Drips. Fortunately for me they worked.

With antibiotics you are treating the symptom, not the source. I am curious why any competent doctor would keep prescribing antibiotics to anyone when they should know the source.

There are many types of anesthesia a dentist, or an oral surgeon can use. Glad to see you are setting up an appointment with your dentist. If they feel like they can't handle that type of removal, I am sure an oral surgeon will be recommended.

My belief is to never treat any symptom when I know the source. Whenever the source generating my problem is found, the sooner it can be handled, for me the better.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@geegerbee  so what did you do?

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

My broken off tooth continues to build bacteria which causes an infection along side my nose.  I fear the dental surgery consisting of cutting a flap in my gums and digging out the broken off tooth. The dentist says antibiotics aren't the answer; it just covers the symptoms. Would ibuprophen help? Will it go away by itself? I am a big baby at the dentist, but I might have to cave. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Ok I am now sufficiently scared Not to have this tooth removed. I will call the dentist tomorrow to go over my options and what anesthetic I would have.

Thank  you all for caring about me!

This is a very big deal to you and very scary. But to the dentist, it's a walk in the park. They see worse things all the time and know exactly how to fix them. Your problem is completely fixable, if you take action. If you don't, I'm sorry but it won't fix itself on its own.

Just set your appointment, get yourself there, and let them take care of the details for you. It will be okay if you just let the good guys do what they do best for you.

Once you're past this, it'll be like it never even happened. Life is so much better when you have sound teeth. I support your decision to get to the dentist.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

No word on what the o/p has done, but she has posted on other threads since starting this thread.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@geegerbeeYou need to see your MD as soon as possible, or an oral surgeon.  Our mouth, teerh and gums are a direct pipeline to all our organs especially the heart.  Any type of bacteria or infection can mainline to your heart and Endocarditis could be a real threat.  Take care of yourself and see your MD. 

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@geegerbeeYou need to see your MD as soon as possible, or an oral surgeon.  Our mouth, teerh and gums are a direct pipeline to all our organs especially the heart.  Any type of bacteria or infection can mainline to your heart and Endocarditis could be a real threat.  Take care of yourself and see your MD. 

@hayseed00      It has been days and the OP never responded to any of the suggestions nor came back to this thread she started.  So rude of her. But whatever.....

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee   Please let us know how you are doing....

♥Surface of the Sun♥