Respected Contributor

Re: Can an infection go away without antibiotics

Any infection near your brain is nothing to ignore. Sometimes dentists prescribe antibiotics prior to dental surgery. You need to get in on an emergency basis.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee     You've got all of us worried about your health........PLEASE let us know ASAP when you have this taken care of.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee, sorry to be blunt but you are beyond being a a big baby at the dentist...you need to get this taken care of. Dentists and oral surgeons take the utmost care in making sure that no matter what needs to be done, they will make sure that you get the treatment you need without pain! Jeopardizing your health is just crazy....deal with it and get it taken care of, and they will take care of you.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, really, don't mess around with this. I've had an abscess from dental surgery and had to take a course of clindamyacin. I was in terrible pain and couldn't eat. 

Regular Contributor

I too was a baby when it came to dentist.  I had to have several crowns.  My dentist prescribed anti-anxiety medication which I took at home before appointment.  By the time I arrived I didn't really care what he did.  Obviously you would need a ride both ways.  After the appointment I would sleep for a while when I got home.

I wish you the best as you take care of your health.  You can do this!

Respected Contributor

Please don't wait. I did and ended up on the hospital. The tooth came out and I was put on a antibiotic. Let us know how you are.

Respected Contributor

I know someone who was in intensive care at the hospital for several days due to a tooth infection.  The infection went into her brain.

We're probably all big babies when it comes to certain situations.  But you have to just pull up your big girl panties and take care of it.  Serious stuff happens to us eventually.

This is serious stuff that could turn into sepsis.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee Get thee to an oral surgeon ASAP! As a type 2 diabetic I was reminded ages ago how important dental health is.

Serious, untreated dental problems CAN lead to heart trouble! You'll be given lots of numbing medication, possibly nitrous oxide (I had it once and felt NOTHING but was conscious the entire time).

You could put your life in serious danger!!! Get it treated! It could do LOTS of damage to your body, left untreated. 

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee Teeth are not like the rest of your body. If you have an infection antibiotics will do the trick, however with teeth you have to either remove the tooth or treat it (root canal) to get rid of the infection. 

It sounds worse then it will actually be. A skilled oral surgeon will have that resolved quick. 

Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

Re: OCan an infection go away without antibiotics

My BIL was in the hospital for almost a week because he developed an abcess where he had a tooth infection.  His entire face swelled to twice it's size.  He was in so much pain.  He had two surgeries, had to go back in a second time because scans showed all the infection was not cleared out.  Ended up having drains put in.  Was in ICU.  He still has numbness to one side of his face and when he smiles, his mouth doesn't go all the way up on one side.  He may not get all sensation back.  Don't mess around with this.  Get it taken care of.