Trusted Contributor

OCan an infection go away without antibiotics

[ Edited ]

My broken off tooth continues to build bacteria which causes an infection along side my nose.  I fear the dental surgery consisting of cutting a flap in my gums and digging out the broken off tooth. The dentist says antibiotics aren't the answer; it just covers the symptoms. Would ibuprophen help? Will it go away by itself? I am a big baby at the dentist, but I might have to cave. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Ok I am now sufficiently scared Not to have this tooth removed. I will call the dentist tomorrow to go over my options and what anesthetic I would have.

Thank  you all for caring about me!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can an infection go away without antibiotics

infection don't work themselves out.  You can develop sepsis which life threatening.  Ibuprophen is for pain/inflammation.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

My broken off tooth continues to build bacteria which causes an infection along side my nose.  I fear the dental surgery consisting of cutting a flap in my gums and digging out the broken off tooth. The dentist says antibiotics aren't the answer; it just covers the symptoms. Would ibuprophen help? Will it go away by itself? I am a big baby at the dentist, but I might have to cave. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

@geegerbee wrote:

@geegerbee     An oral surgeon will ALWAYS prescribe an antibiotic after surgery.    You need to kill the infection to ensure proper healing.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

If you have an infection that is going up your sinuses from your tooth, that is an emergency.  You can die from this.  You absolutely have to make an appointment to get this taken care of.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee.  A minor cut on the finger may "cure" itself and go away without medication, however, the situation you describe could be very serious because its in close proximity to your brain.  You need to have t h e surgery done ASAP.  It won't be nearly as bad as it sounds.  Everything will be deadened and the incision will be tiny.  It won't go away and may become a lot more serious.  Get it fixed NOW.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You need an antibiotic...now.  If your dentist won't prescribe one, see your doctor. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@geegerbee.  A minor cut on the finger may "cure" itself and go away without medication, however, the situation you describe could be very serious because its in close proximity to your brain.  You need to have t h e surgery done ASAP.  It won't be nearly as bad as it sounds.  Everything will be deadened and the incision will be tiny.  It won't go away and may become a lot more serious.  Get it fixed NOW.

@Kachina624@geegerbee     PLEASE listen to Kachina......This is a SERIOUS situation.  I have had this done when a tooth spontaneously broke off under a bridge.   Maybe an hour appointment in the oral surgeon's office.    The tooth is not the problem.........THE INFECTION CAN BE DEADLY.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sometimes antibiotics aren't the answer for dental problems. I had an abscessed tooth that had to be pulled. Antibiotics did not help it. As soon as it was pulled the problem was resolved. I would fear the result of not treating an infected tooth more than treating it.

Trusted Contributor

When I was young my grandfather developed an infection around his heart from an infection he had in a tooth. It almost killed him, and he was only in his late fifties. You need to do whatever has to be done. Like yesterday. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee 

I am sorry you have to deal with this, and for your fear.  Please, follow the advice of your dentist.  

You mention that the infection has spread to your nose.  One concern is that it might also spread to your organs, and damage something else, say, your heart.  

No matter how ‘big a baby’ you are at the dentist, this is not something to take lightly.  Please do have it fixed.

Yes, I have had a septic joint, and I know the deep concern of my physicians for potential damage.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras