Trusted Contributor

Health, Dieting and Exercise SMS Page : 8

Respected Contributor

Re: O.k. -- can someone give me some suggestions to lose 10 lbs? Yes, again!

People can only tell you what worked for them.  I think the most important thing, is making diet changes that you can live with. And only you know what that is.

In my opinion, if you love a certain food, eliminating it from your diet altogether is setting yourself up for failure.  Why not just eat less of it. That way you are making a positive change without feeling deprived.  After all, you can always have more the next day.

Making diet changes step by step, worked better for me. It took longer to lose weight, but the changes I made were permanent. 

Paying attention to serving sizes was also a big help.  I don't know why I never paid attention to them before.  Was I surprised that the serving size for my favorite cookie was 2, and not the whole box I often ate.

Slow and steady won the weight loss race for me.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Seems you've got a lot of good advice from everyone.  I'd recommend Nutrisystem for at least 1 month because it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to change a habit.  Nutrisystem will get you used to eating more vegetables and fruits.  You will also get accustomed to portion control which imho is most important.

@eddyandme Using Nutrisystem I’ve lost 40 lbs. the best thing I did. It got me back on track, taught me portion control. Yes the food wasn’t exactly the best tasting. But what I learned was “don’t focus so much on the food your eating. Focus on the results your results,” I have Nutrisystem on auto-delivery. (HSN or QVC) Little by little I am learning how to pick out the foods I eat from the supermarket instead of Nutrisystem.
Esteemed Contributor

@Naturesbeauty wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Seems you've got a lot of good advice from everyone.  I'd recommend Nutrisystem for at least 1 month because it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to change a habit.  Nutrisystem will get you used to eating more vegetables and fruits.  You will also get accustomed to portion control which imho is most important.

@eddyandmeUsing Nutrisystem I’ve lost 40 lbs. the best thing I did. It got me back on track, taught me portion control. Yes the food wasn’t exactly the best tasting. But what I learned was “don’t focus so much on the food your eating. Focus on the results your results,” I have Nutrisystem on auto-delivery. (HSN or QVC) Little by little I am learning how to pick out the foods I eat from the supermarket instead of Nutrisystem.  

CONGRATULATIONS, @Naturesbeauty !Heart  WOW!  That's fantastic!  Years ago, I too lost some weight on it.  You're right, it does make you result-oriented.  I'd like to lose a few at this time - been cheating this year - thinking of doing it again to get me back on track.  I find it changes your cravings and you tend to look toward 'real' food as opposed to pre-packaged meals, etc. readily available at the grocery store.  And, as you stated, portion control is the key to getting it off and keeping it off!

Honored Contributor

Many thanks for all the informative and thoughtful replies!  They mean a lot to me, and that so many have taken the time fo respond!  

I have made a lot of notes and am trying to sort through everything now.  

I agree with most of what you have written!  I can also identify with many posts, too.

I have to say that after retirement, I do find myself somewhat at odds and this is when I began to over-eat!  Not used to being home so much and having so much free time.  I'm not complaining --- believe me!!! It's great, but I guess I'm still adjusting (don't do well with change) and trying to figure out how to best use my time.  

What some have said holds true for me --- not great health, inability to exercise much, poor health of husband, and other family members, not sleeping well, etc.  These things all take a toll.  

I had thought of looking into some classes at the senior center for exercise, but with flu season and now this corona thing, I really don't want to be around people any more than I have to be.

As for eating, I used to try and keep things out of the house to avoid temptation, but that doesn't work any more because DH loves his snacks and treats and is entitled to have what he likes.  So, temptation is everywhere! LOL!  

I do eat a lot of healthy foods, but unfortunately I enjoy too many sweets and unhealthy foods as well.  If I didn't like sweets, I'd be a twig!  Anyone have any suggestions to make me hate sugar???  HA!  Now -- that would be a real miracle! 

Thank you again!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I was going to mention this before...I got rid of every condiment in my fridge, for example the catsup, mayo, salad dressing, pickled relish....you get the idea. Although I wasn't using a ton of any one of them, they are just full of salt, sugar and generally not a good thing to eat...they add fat and extra calories to boot. I don't miss them either. I got rid of cheese in my diet, too. Cheese is high calorie and loaded with salt and fat. When I got rid of cheese from my diet, my weight came down quickly and my inflammation problems subsided greatly.

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 You've made a good first step by realizing you need to make changes.  I journal everything I eat and drink.  I love chocolate and sweets and have no willpower so i don't buy sweets often.  When baking, i decrease sugar.  I don't deprive myself of anything just have smaller portions. I also delay morning meal until midmorning. Incorporate some exercise daily as your health allows.  Their doctor once told my parents (cancer survivor and heart issues) to eat a mediterranean diet and walk 30 minutes daily to preserve their health.  This advice served them well.  Take one day at a time.  Best of luck.

Respected Contributor

I too battle a sweet tooth.  I have found that as I stopped eating sugary foods and processed foods, I actually lowered my cravings for it.  Try quitting it for a certain period and see if that may help you too.  

I had to give up chocolate, as it aggravates my acid issues, so that pretty much eliminated most candies and sweets for me.  The fruit flavored candies contain a lot of acids and citric acid so I gave them up too.  That seemed to really tame my sweet tooth.

I can understand the temptations when certain foods are in my house.  Right now my husband has two bags of potato chips in the house.  I swear, they call my name.....🤣 

“People do, I don’t.”
Cosmo Kramer
QVC Customer Care