Honored Contributor

Re: O.k. -- can someone give me some suggestions to lose 10 lbs? Yes, again!

@CrazyDaisy    I suspect she may be bored and is compensating for the lack of activity by snacking.  Eating only during meals and eating smaller portions may be the answer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Exercise is great but you can't out exercise your diet.

If you're good at "committing" to something I'd say sign up for 3 months of WW. They're always offering deals and if you go and start to sign up and then bail at the payment part they will start emailing you deals.

This worked for me because for some reason if I commit to doing something like that I'll do it. I of course already knew what I needed to o but just found excuses. It's also good at teaching you how to eat the things you like properly. So if there's something you like but it's sort of high in points you figure out how to compensate with your other meals. And honestly you'll find yourself sometimes shocked at what you though was pretty healthy isn't so great.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom 

You lost me in this post, other than WW, along with your very 1st sentence. An example from my own personal experiences over many decades, I can give you an Antonymic Phrase to what you stated in sentence #1.

"You can't out diet your exercise".

I however do not use the word "diet", unless quoting or paraphrasing. For me it is 1+1=2. One without the other = 0.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Try to cut out the junk, keep a food journal- this will make you accountable to yourself, walk as much as to you can, check out chair exercise- there are things you can do while sitting with water bottles, a towel, resistance bands and free weights.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're getting contradictory advice all over the place, @AngelPuppy1.  I'll add mine😏

Go low carb by at least not eating "white stuff".  Flour, potatoes, rice, sugar.  Avoid starchy vegetables and most fruits.  Cutting carbs, especially, the processed ones, should help to curb hunger.  No pastries, cookies, candy pie, etc.  Maybe a square or two of a good, dark chocolate.  

Start pushing back breakfast until you are only eating twice a day, without snacking.  That helps you by not triggering insulin which makes you hungry.  To me weight loss is all about controlling appetite and hunger.

Don't worry about exercise too much.  It doesn't help with losing weight but does help you to maintain your weight loss.

Good luck😜

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@pigletsmom 

You lost me in this post, other than WW, along with your very 1st sentence. An example from my own personal experiences over many decades, I can give you an Antonymic Phrase to what you stated in sentence #1.

"You can't out diet your exercise".

I however do not use the word "diet", unless quoting or paraphrasing. For me it is 1+1=2. One without the other = 0.

hckynut

Yes you need both but people recommending just exercise to drop 10 pounds wont work. I don't mean diet in the weight loss sense, just what you're eating. I'm a good example of someone who is super active and loves to exercise and couldn't drop the 15 pouns. And I wasn't eating terribly.

I often think the perfect example is dogs. People with overweight dogs think they just need to exercise more, but the truth is shown when they just cut back the food and treats a bit. Most people do the same thing with their dogs that they do with themselves. Ignore the extra snacks or the little bits of table food that all add up.  

Regular Contributor

I get your problem,  my hubby is sick and i've been stress eating.  Recently I gave up diet soda and sugar. for Lent and it's helped a lot.   

Does yuor PBS channel carry the show Sit and Be Fit"    It's an excercise program for people our age..

Good luck 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is only about the psychological aspects. Don't bring anything into the house that you want to avoid. Don't bring home cookies, chips, cake, ice cream. Bring home more, 

lower calorie, higher fiber foods such as vegetables, fruit, whole grains. Choose some protein for satiety. Watch and limit any high calorie dressings. 

Keep track of what you eat, so you have some idea where the calories go. Try using MyFitnessPal to track the calories and nutrients of what you eat. You'd be surprised how much different brands vary in nutrition and calories. You'll also see where you are lacking in certain nutrients.

Get regular sleep. The hormones (cortisol and melatonin) that affect sleep also affect hunger and cravings. Your circadian rhythm affects your appetite.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Loosing weight is hard. But, you cannot exercise yourself thin, Loosing weight is 80 calories 20% exercise. Cut the calories. I could lecture on & on. But I think you know what to do. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Loosing weight is hard. But, you cannot exercise yourself thin, Loosing weight is 80 calories 20% exercise. Cut the calories. I could lecture on & on. But I think you know what to do. Good luck.

@ahoymate 

Go ahead and "lecture", I'm interested in what you have to say. Feel free to go on and on and on and on. One should always be open to learning something new about weight/exercise/health, along with physical fitness. I am.

hckynut

hckynut(john)