Honored Contributor

O.k. -- can someone give me some suggestions to lose 10 lbs? Yes, again!

[ Edited ]

Yes, I know --- this type of thing has been posted a million times before!

I can't seem to get my head around it!  

Always before I could set my head to it and do it -- but for some reason this time, I can't seem to commit.  

As most of you who regularly post here and probably recognize my name, you know that I'm 67, not in very good health and with a bad ankle and back issues, so doing a lot of physical exercise is difficult for me.

My eating habits have gone off the rail and I don't seem to be able to get them back on the track!

Can some of you here give me some encouraging words and tips and things you do/words to live by/things you eat/way you eat, etc., that could help me?  I know I have to be the one to own it and do it and no-one can do it for me, but I could sure use some helpful tidbits right now.  I'm very discouraged! Smiley Frustrated

Thanks so much! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: O.k. -- can someone give me some suggestions to lose 10 lbs? Yes, again!

There's an app called   Itrackbites

you put in your info and several diffent diet option come up

they are mostly WW options, but there is a low sugar, low carb, calorie counting option also.  The free version is really all you need.

Good Luck

Oh, thats the letter I. not a 1

Esteemed Contributor

Simple solution is eat less...move more.

You have to want to do it and it may be a lifestyle change.  There are no tricks and no short cuts.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Over 2 years I lost 40 lbs and have kept it off for 3 years now.  This is what worked for me, and it may not work for anyone else but I will post it for anyone who may care to consider my tips.  

I quit drinking diet soda cold turkey, and was amazed that I lost 10 lbs very soon after.  I just did not have the disicipline to stick to a certain eating plan so I just cut my portion sizes of what I normally ate.  I tried to keep in mind the eating plan I had learned from Weight Watchers back in the late 80's.  When they used the exchange plan, also used by the old Richard Simmons Deal a Meal plan.

I have trouble with acid reflux issues so I started eliminating fried foods and eating a low fat, high fiber diet.  Eating more veggies and fresh fruits and whole grains.  I cut my intake of processed foods, although I still do eat some whole grain breads.  Cannot seem to get completely away from bread!😊

I love to walk and try to get a good brisk walk in several times a week.  

I try to drink a lot of filtered water too. 

My weight loss was slow, but sure and I eventually got it off.  Please be patient with yourself.  I had to learn that one fact to be successful.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 : I wish you luck. What I found for me to start the process that worked for me was sheer willpower. I think the first two weeks were hardest for me.

I don't eat dinner except for a handful of pecans usually about 5 or 6:30. I don't eat again until about 7 next morning after I work out. I'm lucky to be healthy enough to be able to exercise.

I used to eat a small container of yogurt before working out because I'd be so darn hungry. It wasn't until I quit doing that my weight began coming off. It was so hard in the beginning because I'd be so hungry.
I'd also have oatmeal after my workout but then changed it to protein in the form of two soft boiled eggs and whole wheat toast. Again I lost a quick two lbs.

I know what I do is not evryone's cup of tea but works for me. My husband and I don't cook dinner anymore. He'll cook something for himself and always willing to have enough for me but I can't eat as he does or my weight would zoom up. He has a wonderful metabolism.

As I said, just sheer will power to start something you think might work for you. I had to keep talking about to myself when I was hungry and wanting to eat before working out, no, no no. My body is used to it now 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I also want to add that even though I have always been a "walker", walking several miles, very briskly, for years, I did not lose weight until I changed my eating habits.  I continue to walk as it helps me with other issues, but it did little to help with my weight loss.  I say this because you mentioned not being able to be very active.  I know you can still be successful even with exercise limitations.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have an answer, seeing as how I have last and gained the same 10 lbs about a million times it seems. However, one thing that is helping me now, I just started it a few weeks ago and I have lost a few lbs, is eating oatmeal in the morning. I got a variety pack of oatmeal, microwave it then I put maybe a tablespoon peanut butter in it. 

It is so good, no matter what flavor the oatmeal is. And that peanut butter seems to stay with me where I am not tempted to snack for several hours.

Yesterday, I had to be somewhere early, didn't eat my oatmeal and I swear I was off the rails eating all day long. Pathetic.

Respected Contributor

I have some physical limitations also.  For exercises at home, I look at the Silver Sneakers videos or Jessica Smith videos on youtube. You might have to wade thru them to find what will work with your limitations. 

Have you considered seeing a physical therapist? I just finished therapy for a knee issue and they gave me some exercises I can do at home. 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

It sounds like water exercise would be a good option for you. Low to no impact on your joints, with the buoyancy of the water to support you. If you have a YMCA in your area, check out what they offer. 

Ive used the Lose It app to track food & nutrition. There’s also a community forum. 

Concentrate on whole, unprocessed foods. Lots of veggies, fruit, whole grains, lean protein, etc. 

The most important thing is that you must decide you’re going to do it. You have to make yourself a priority. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Easy Peasy! Mary’s Mini!🥔🍠🍚🥬🥦

[ Edited ]

In summary:

• Pick a starch (most popular-potatoes!)
  • Pick greens & non-starchy vegetables
  • Cook with no oils or fats
  • Limit spices, salt, sugar

Easy...just eat at much as you want, any time you want.

The idea is to re-set you tastebuds & to create a boredom to make

you realize true hunger.  People lose weight & keep it off.

Sounds too easy...but it works. It's healthy eating. 
Here's the written description but just Google Mary's Mini.

There are tons of videos & articles about this simple way of eating.

This way of eating will also create a healthy gut & increase your

immune system...what all of us need right now!

Of course something this EASY, people will want all the 'data' and

'research' so I attached the article below.  Relax...it's only 10 days.

But when you finish, you'll feel so good, you'll want to continue🥬

5E835459-CC68-4645-93B9-80A268B48A65.jpeg
C8C799EB-9DCB-468E-B56F-95A24443424E.jpeg
FD3411FA-3D64-448C-B42E-44EDBC483EE3.jpeg

FF9C6F1D-04F8-4D98-9901-0B4A444C2E69.jpeg