Respected Contributor

Re: O.k. - Yet Another Weight Gain Posting --- heavy sigh!!!

@AngelPuppy1    As we all know,  different tricks work for different people.   My husband is 6'6" and weighs 185 lbs.  He can eat whatever he wants and not gain an ounce.  NOT THE CASE with me!  A little over a year ago I was determined to lose weight, did, and have kept it off, despite being in my 23rd week working from home.   For me the trick is to be good 5 days of the week and eat WHATEVER I WANT with NO LIMITS for 2 days.   The 5 days that I'm good I portion control and watch calories and eat popcorn for dinner 1-2 nights during that period.   On the 2 days that I can eat anything,  I bake,  cook a lot or bring in pizza, etc.  We have snacks, open a bottle of wine with dinner.  It's a FUN 2 days and lets me be really good the balance of the week.  It has done the trick for me.

You can get back on track....  you will when you're really ready.

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace 

I am very disgusted.  I swore I would not let myself gain like this again.  But here I sit!  Only itls worse now because I am much older, in not good health and not able to do a lot of things and also this dumb virus makes you feel cranky!  I have used the excuse -- well, I'll just eat this -- it will make me feel better!  HA!  Thanks for your post!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Rose429 

Yes, same here.  I can't get into my summer capri or jeans.  A lot of my tops look terrible so I choose not to wear them.  I can't stand for things to look tight on!  Yuck!  I guess I just feel defeated right now no matter how much I try to give myself pep talks.  I am usually the type of person that once I get to a certain point -- I just grab the bull by the horns and go for it.  Not this time.  Thanks for sharing!  

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining 

I don't know what it would take.  I know that before this happened, all I had to do was just eat regular meals and cut out the snacks and I was good to go.  I tried that for a good while and I lost nothing and even gained.  So, I don't know.  Thanks for your reply!  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

You're very kind and I appreciate your taking the time to post all your tips.  I have been on many diets, etc. in my life and have done all these things and more.  I know basically what needs to be done to lose.  At least I used to know what I needed to do.  I have tried several of these things recently and gotten no where, then got disgusted and just gave up.  I feel age, health problems, medications, etc. have added to not being able to lose.  I tried cutting my food intake drastically and then I start feeling sick and can't do it.  I can't do many exericise things because of health problems I have.  As far as having an incentive - a reason to lose weight --- I really have none at this time.  I mean - a real occasion or particular thing.  I know why I should lose and why I need to lose and want to but doing it is a whole different thing.  I eat a lot of healthy things, but I am eating a lot of unhealthy things too, and too much.  I thank you for your post and it sounds like you have your system down! 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!  I read and understand what you are saying.  I am so sorry that your surroundings make it impossible for your to walk outside.  That is awful!  I hope this improves.  Walking outside is the only thing that keeps me sane -- at all. Some days my ankle and leg hurt me too much to do it, but any time I can I do!  This is more for mental health than physical.  Yes, we all need something to look forward to or to keep us inspired.  In these times, its very difficult to keep inspired and/or to remain positive.  I think meditating which you mentioned, may be what you are looking for.  

I have no craft hobbies or talents --- I have tried many -- and I am envious of people who are talented -- but I do read a lot --- this is a diversion.  T.V. - I do love,but there is a lot of negativity there and I try to avoid that but that's hard to do.  I hope you can get a new, better one!

Saying - I'll eat less or I'll eat no "junk" is easy but doing it is hard.  I feel inspired by you and others here, also!

The nick I use is what I used to call my little puppy also! Thank you and I wish you well!!!

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 

I know what you are saying is true without a doubt.  And breaking this habit, as with any habit, is hard, and very difficult to do.  When I was younger, even a few years ago, I was much stronger, mentally and physically.  When I made up my mind, it was no less difficult, but I would hit a point --- and my mind would click -- and I would say --- yes --- I would do it and I would.  I do eat a lot of good food but unfortunately I have been eating a lot of bad, too!  Thanks so much for your post! 

Honored Contributor

@tansy 

Thank you!  I am glad the carb thing works for you.  I believe and know actually, that I have an issue with portions.  I need to start controlling portion size - again.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Very intelligent and mindful way to approach it!  Not just cutting off cold turkey.  Sounds like a very healthy way.  Thank you -- very good of you to reply to my post 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

Yes, I think what you say is true.  If you can just control your mind with this, you have the majority of it solved.  I definitely know I eat when I am not the least bit hungry.  Or -- I keep eating when I no longer am hungry.  Also, as we know, many of us (self included here) eat for many reasons -- happiness, sadness, fear, anxiety, stress, etc.  As for counting calories, carbs, etc. -- I have done all these things throughout my life.  I hate doing this and it is a pain and not a good way to live!