Honored Contributor

Re: O.k. - Yet Another Weight Gain Posting --- heavy sigh!!!

@noodleann 

I walk from between1 hour to 2 hours per day, depending upon how my ankle is doing.  It is not fast walking as I can't do this any longer.  Other than that, I don't exercise except for just yard work and cleaning, laundry, etc.  I do keep a journal of what I eat, how much I exercise and my weight.  I used to weightevery day but this led me to getting less motivated so I now weigh once a week, in a.m. I try to stay at around 1200 calories, but sometimes go over to around 1500 or 2000.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since I live a little over 2 1/2 miles from where I work,I had 3 options.  Drive to work, take the shuttle to work or walk to work. I elected to walk. This takes a bit longer, because the 2 1/2 mile mark is entering the campus.  Then you have to walk some more to get to my office.  I walk to it and back.  5 days a week. Almost all of it is uphill, so I really get good exercise.  Going home, most of it is downhill, so I'm practically running home. I try to do it in all kinds of weather.  The only time I don't is if there is ice & some slippery snow. Those days I still walked, by using the university indoor gym, walking the race track. I hated working out at the gym.  Did that for a while.  Decided to walk to work because I'm actually doing something...getting to work. I got the idea after reading an article about people walking to work.  One lady walked 3 miles going to work, & 3 miles going back.  A reporter followed her one day on the way to work.  She said it cleared her head. She did this  5 days a week.  I'm in my 40's now.  I'm also very thin. I'm 112 lbs. So far I maintain my weight. Eventually I will have to stop, because I'll be older and getting more tired.  I also watch what I eat.  I never eat in between meals.

Super Contributor

I have been very careful during the time at home to not overeat and to not eat a lot of foods that I know I shouldnt. Plus I added exercising almost daily to my schedule. I didnt want to gain any weight during this and so far so good. I do sometimes get cookies, chocolate, chips, cheese dip but not often and I dont eat too many at one time.Man Happy

Honored Contributor

@songbird 

You are getting a lot of walking in - that's great. They saying walking is so good for a person.  I have always loved walking and hope I can always do it.  

Honored Contributor

@OhioAngel 

You have will power!  I always had it, but during this time period, I seemed to have lost it!  I am trying really hard right now and am not having much results.  I am getting very discouraged.  I will keep trying but if I don't get any results, I don't know how much longer I can keep motivated.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1  It isnt always easy but I try and do my best. If I dont have the foods that I shouldnt eat in the house, that helps of course. Not easy to stay motivated but I keep  telling myself I dont want to have gained weight or let myself go during all of this, when things get back to normalWoman Wink I keep plugging away at mostly daily exercise. If I feel really tired or not in the mood I sometimes will not do the exercise but get right back to it within two days.

Honored Contributor

@OhioAngel 

It IS hard to be motivated when you see no results.  I wouldn't have things in my house but DH has things he likes and so they tempt me!  I am doing pretty well at staying away from them, but still not getting much of any where.  I'll keep trying for now, but maybe this is just where I'm meant to be at this age.  I don't like it, but.....  Thanks for your reply!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been really, really, seeing how my food choices and weight loss are working.  This is a marvelous time to find out. Hahaha.  What else do I have to do?

Anyway, I think I'll be going to low carb and high fat.  I can find all kinds of information on line and You Tube to help.  My husband is on Metformin, which my diabetic dad had to use and eventually my mom did too.  I once did it and it worked well for me.  When I don't pay attention and eat properly ....well, you know.

So I'll get back on the train.  My husband knows about this too (L-C) and he actually likes and does a lot of those foods already. So, no problem there. My main thing, is tending to how I'm doing.  So..................

Maybe treat it as an experiment, to get in touch once again with how your body is working.  You know the meds you may or may not be on, I'd say go from there, unless it's something you might want to consult with your doctor first.  Good luck.

We can do anything, we set our minds to.  Also, going to do some intermittent fasing with this.  I like to do that.  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@tansy 

Thank you!  I am glad the carb thing works for you.  I believe and know actually, that I have an issue with portions.  I need to start controlling portion size - again.

I kind of sang that song last week too.  It went no where for me.  Onward and upward.

Contributor

Motivation for me has always been not wanting to look frumpy.  No matter what you wear, nor how beautiful your hair or makeup looks, extra weight always ages you by 10 years and makes you look frumpy. 

Oh, and btw, the secret to weight loss, I believe, is eat only vegetables, fruits and lean protein.  No carbs or sugar; not a fun nor quick diet, but it works.  No amount of exercise can overcome a bad diet.  It's all about the food.