Frequent Contributor

Re: O/T Anyone have Fibromylgia ?

@ANewHue I have to agree with you, my husband hurt himself at work 3 years ago he has chronic back pain. He has had needles in the the back surgery in the back with very little relief. He takes the same dose of pain meds everyday for 3 years some days when he is having a good day he takes less. As a wife of 24 years it tears me apart inside to watch him everyday in pain. I would give my left arm if it would stop his pain, so I see nothing wrong with meds that help if you take them the way there prescribed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Princesswife. Please see my first post and check into the cream I mentioned.  I swear by that stuff and I tried them all.  I don't work for the company.  It has no odor and I highly recommend for anyone in pain.  See the website, it's expensive but it helps immensely.

Frequent Contributor

@ANewHue Thank you will do if it gives him 25 percent relieve it will be well worth the price

Valued Contributor

What are your symptoms, I found regular IBprofen to be my friend more than all the drugs they try to give you. Go organic in food, get into teas of all kinds.

Honored Contributor

I was diagnosed about 11 years ago, but I had symptoms quite a while before that.

After my children were born I began sleeping poorly, and I believe that was a major factor 

in the beginning of my problems.

Besides 17 of the  "18 points", I have a lot of soft tissue pain when I'm flaring. I actually don't have much of any joint pain- the pain is between my joints, especially lower and upper arms and shins/calves.

For a while I did fine on standard OTC analgesics, then I started to take the Tylenol with added Codeine, but I was breaking them in half and only taking one half before bed. I only took them when I was really, REALLY miserable, which, Thank Goodness, I usually wasn't.

Then a friend told me that a friend of HERS had had SEVERE fibro, but found that after losing a MAJOR amount of weight, reversed most of her symptoms. My personal weight loss provided SOME RELIEF but not all....

I deeply appreciate threads like this, except, that in many ways, fibro is a singular sort of condition, and my symptoms, I have learned by experience, are very rarely the same as or even comparable to, someone else's.

I also try hard to avoid medicines of all kinds, but am I going to race out and get me a container of Topricin to try? SURE AM!

AND, BECAUSE I am lying on my back under a MOUNTAIN of stress today, I took half an Eleve with my morning coffee. I know I won't be PAIN FREE, but if it takes the edge off, I'll be grateful.

I too do well with massage administered by a massage therapist who has training with fibro, and I KNOW that if I walk around the mall when I'm in bad shape, I'll feel LESS bad by the time I get to my car.

Also, I have found a combination of mattress, mattress, pad, ANOTHER mattress pad, and body pillow that makes me comfortable enough to sleep.

MY STUFF MAY NOT BE USEFUL TO YOU, BUT IT DOES HELP ME. What we have in common is that we ALL have a common problem, however it may impact upon us individually.

Frequent Contributor

I've had fibromyalgia for years. I cannot take the meds that are prescribed for it due to adverse reactions. I take amitriptyline at night to help me go into a deep sleep to feel better in the morning. Most people with this condition do not sleep well at night and wake up more tired and achy than usual. I also use a hydrocollator to help ease the bad pain. I feel fatiqued all the time. It is very difficult to live with this condition. I am having a bad day today and my arms are so weak. Rainy or cold weather affects me also.

Respected Contributor

@Rileyx wrote:

I've had fibromyalgia for years. I cannot take the meds that are prescribed for it due to adverse reactions. I take amitriptyline at night to help me go into a deep sleep to feel better in the morning. Most people with this condition do not sleep well at night and wake up more tired and achy than usual. I also use a hydrocollator to help ease the bad pain. I feel fatiqued all the time. It is very difficult to live with this condition. I am having a bad day today and my arms are so weak. Rainy or cold weather affects me also.

Kayce, I agree that sleep does wonders for pain relief.  It is good that you can get deep sleep as well.  Our bodies heal better when we sleep.

As for long term use of narcotics, that is what it is.  I know what I have experienced with family and friends on long term narcotics.  Some personalities can handle it much better and not increase their dosage beyond what is minimally required to help versus more and more so they don't have to deal with any pain at all. We are all different but the dependency/addiction are the same.  Addiction can be said to be of excess and dependency a maintenance but the body still desires and craves it none-the-less.  It is all a balance that can easily slide from maintenance to excess.  If you play with fire, you may just get burned.  Be careful and listen to the people around you.  They will be your best guide.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes; for about 15 years now.

My very first book re: Fibro was the second one, and all of these involve a doctor who is a fibro pioneer, leading expert, and tireless advocate.

They're all excellent and highly-recommended, and and P.S. - men and kids of most ages can get it, too.

Picture

"What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia"
Updated Third Edition 2012
by R. Paul St. Amand, M.D. and Claudia Craig Marek
400 pages softcover book

This is a detailed explanation of Fibromyalgia, its history, its relationship with hypoglycemia, and its treatment using the Guaifenesin Protocol. The book includes an extensive resource section.

Picture

"The First Year -- Fibromyalgia: An Essential Guide For The Newly Diagnosed"
(The First Year Series)
by Claudia Craig Marek
320 pages softcover book

Fibromyalgia affects millions of people in the United States, but as a condition with wide-ranging symptoms and no test available yet for diagnosis, it remains one of the most difficult to identify and treat. When Claudia Craig Marek was definitively diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1991, she found very little information, advice, or support for coping with her condition. Marek decided to take charge of her health and educate herself on every aspect of fibromyalgia -- by reading medical and scientific books and journals, talking with doctors, and networking with other people who have the condition. Now, as a "patient-expert," she shares her unrivaled experience and knowledge, walking those newly diagnosed step-by-step through their first year with fibromyalgia. 

-- Strategies for accomplishing necessary lifestyle changes
-- Guidelines and tips for modifying your diet
-- Choosing the right medical team
-- Stress management and exercise
-- Discussing your condition with family, friends, and co-workers
-- Current medical research and medications
-- Effective alternative therapies
-- Support group resources

Picture

"What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia Fatigue"
by R. Paul St. Amand, M.D. and Claudia Craig Marek
Softcover

The authors of the successful "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" present a revolutionary new guide to help sufferers relieve their chronic fatigue. Affecting over 20 million Americans, fibromyalgia is a chronic disease whose symptoms include muscular pain and fatigue. Now, Dr. St. Amand, an expert on fibromyalgia, delivers a detailed diet, exercise, and lifestyle plan to help sufferers fight the often debilitating effects of chronic fatigue. Focusing on boosting energy, Dr. St. Amand offers important advice on avoiding energy drains (illnesses and injuries common to fibromyalgics) and increasing energy builders through the right combination of diet and exercise. In addition, he includes an accessible discussion on how energy is created by the body and delicious recipes proven to relieve symptoms--helping readers reclaim their lives and their health.

Here are two great websites/pages for info, support; also get on their email list:

Also, try to cope with Fibro as holistically as possible, with diet, exercise, yoga, meditation, animal companionsWoman Happy, other lifestyle changes, and safe natural supplements (i.e.: magnesium citrate).

HTH & much luck.  8-) 

---

P.S.:  your nic is cute.
Frequent Contributor

I was assured by my doctor that this is not addicting. He sat down and talked with me at length about it. This is not a narcotic. I take a very low dose and don't take it regularly and sometimes go months without taking it. Not sure what your post was about but I am not about to be addicted to anything. 

Respected Contributor

@Rileyx wrote:

I was assured by my doctor that this is not addicting. He sat down and talked with me at length about it. This is not a narcotic. I take a very low dose and don't take it regularly and sometimes go months without taking it. Not sure what your post was about but I am not about to be addicted to anything. 

@Rileyx I think she was just referring to the earlier conversations, not you, after the first paragraph.