Trusted Contributor

Someone I know is a physical therapist in a nursing home during the day.  She has a second job which is not unusual but in these times it occurred to me that what she is doing sounds dangerous. She works in a bar at a resort in Florida. Nursing homes are discouraging or banning visitors. However an employee is out and around a lot of people. I know they can’t tell her what she can do outside of work hours but this seems irresponsible. How many other places is this happening? Working with elderly or people with compromised immune systems is risky. Is it just me?

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva -

I was going to say that it would be good if Fl closed their bars when I just read a post that said starting tonight at 5pm? the Fl gov ordered all bars and restaurants closed so not being safe is out of individual businesses hands!

It's about time right?

A little behind a lot of the nation.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I saw on TMZ this afternoon Fifty Cent (the rapper) sitting in a strip joint (totally filled) throwing money up in the air and the girls running over to get it.

I don't know where it was but the place was full and it was just last night.

People probably see that, think it's 'cool' and try to find bars to do that.

I would hope all of them are now closed.

Valued Contributor

Physical therapist at a nursing home by day, bar employee by night.  Bad combination at any time, but especially these days.  I feel for her - she needs the extra income.  But the poor people in the home!   I pray she doesn't bring the corona virus (or flu or anything) to them.

I realize it would be a terrible hardship for the owners and employees, but I wish all restaurants and bars would close for the time being for everyone's sake.

Trusted Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

Physical therapist at a nursing home by day, bar employee by night.  Bad combination at any time, but especially these days.  I feel for her - she needs the extra income.  But the poor people in the home!   I pray she doesn't bring the corona virus (or flu or anything) to them.

I realize it would be a terrible hardship for the owners and employees, but I wish all restaurants and bars would close for the time being for everyone's sake.

It never occurred to me until today that it is was not a good working arrangement. There are spring breakers all over the beach at bar where she works. Then I got to thinking lord knows where people go or what arrangements they have then go to work the next day at a nursing home. Husbands and wives can't  even visit each other if one is in a nursing home. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some nursing homes have stopped visits from therapists.

Respected Contributor

Nursing homes are only open to essential personal and even then EVERY employee every day has to be screened for Corona exposure risk.  Risk and or temp= go home.

Even USPS workers delivering the mail must be screened or they have to leave the mail outside.

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Nursing homes are only open to essential personal and even then EVERY employee every day has to be screened for Corona exposure risk.  Risk and or temp= go home.

Even USPS workers delivering the mail must be screened or they have to leave the mail outside.

That's good to know. I never gave it a thought until now. Thank you. 

Honored Contributor
Years ago when my grandmother was in the private owned personal care home, flu season essentially shut them down for 2 weeks. Some staff members stayed on site during that time, and other than the owner and the doctor, no one else came in.

As hospitals become affected, they will go on their emergency plans, and employees will not be allowed to leave the building. They will live there until the emergent situation subsides.