Honored Contributor

Re: Nursing home deaths from COVID

@millieshops wrote:

@SoonerI do.  It's a heart-breaking choice exacerbated many times over by this pandemic.  The statistics are staggering, but when one of those statistics becomes personal, that's always the one that etches the deepest wounds.

This is so true!  I have a personal story about having to admit my sister, who has Parkinson's disease and other medical issues, to an Assisted Living Facility, after having sitters for her 24/7 that became too expensive I had to find an alternative.  She moved in on May 5, where she was tested twice negative for Covid-19!  On Wed. late afternoon around 5:30 -5:45, I found two messages on my phone, one from the assisted living and another from an ER Dr., I called the ER Dr. back first where he told me she had been brought by ambulance to the ER with breathing problems, and wanted to know if she had a DNR, and I said yes and I have her living will.  Later than night they told me she had pneumonia in both lungs and also fluid, and also may have had a heart attack!

The next morning, I found out she had tested positive for Covid-19!  She has been in the ER for 3 days, still waiting for a bed in ICU, she is in critical but stable condition!  I have not been able to see her or talk to her.  This virus is very real!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA 

Yes, as you posted, some governors ordered that nursing homes accept Covid patients. Ours did.  And official documents do exist--even here, where the governor's order that nursing homes not refuse Covid patients was "disappeared" 😏 from the state's website. (Thank goodness for archival sites.)

It's no surprise that nursing home residents were sitting ducks for a deadly outbreak. 

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

Infection control is a major issue in facilities. They have policies and procedures in place on paper, but in theory and in practice are two different things.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@NYwomanI find it astounding that the Covid19 patients were sent back to nursing homes or sent there after testing positive.  Unless a nursing home is specifically set up to take these patients (and many can't do this) it is a death sentence for many living there.  I think the CDC had very specific criteria spelled out for nursing homes if they had a positive case.  

There would still be cases in the nursing homes, but perhaps on a much smaller scale as we learned more about the virus and transmission.  

Where I am we had a hospital set up a separate building that could be used just for the Covid patients of any age.

@Snoopp 

A Navy Hospital Ship was sent to NY for non virus patients, originally. Then it also converted 1,000 beds to accommodate virus patients. Yet virus positive patients were sent to nursing homes. Why? Beds used in the ship were reportedly less than 200, why?

A huge "center" was set up in NYC to handle strictly virus patients, 2,000 of them. They were staffed and ready to take in those afflicted with the virus. The last number I heard it was much less that half of it used, why? 

While being aware of the reason for this happening, again I say, why? Last I heard was that over 1/3 of the deaths in NYC were from nursing homes, and not everyone in some homes are the elderly with life threatening underlying conditions. 

Who in that city/state is going to step up and truthfully answer my, WHY?

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@SoonerI do.  It's a heart-breaking choice exacerbated many times over by this pandemic.  The statistics are staggering, but when one of those statistics becomes personal, that's always the one that etches the deepest wounds.

This is so true!  I have a personal story about having to admit my sister, who has Parkinson's disease and other medical issues, to an Assisted Living Facility, after having sitters for her 24/7 that became too expensive I had to find an alternative.  She moved in on May 5, where she was tested twice negative for Covid-19!  On Wed. late afternoon around 5:30 -5:45, I found two messages on my phone, one from the assisted living and another from an ER Dr., I called the ER Dr. back first where he told me she had been brought by ambulance to the ER with breathing problems, and wanted to know if she had a DNR, and I said yes and I have her living will.  Later than night they told me she had pneumonia in both lungs and also fluid, and also may have had a heart attack!

The next morning, I found out she had tested positive for Covid-19!  She has been in the ER for 3 days, still waiting for a bed in ICU, she is in critical but stable condition!  I have not been able to see her or talk to her.  This virus is very real!!!

@Hooty    What a awful story. I work in a nursing home and this virus is a monster. People think this is about hand washing but it is so much more, it's our new lifestyle. 

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

This is the first time I can actually say I'm glad my parents are already gone. I would hate for them to go through this all alone in a nursing home. My heart breaks completely.

@ID2  No truer words were ever spoken. I say the same thing.

Respected Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

Infection control is a major issue in facilities. They have policies and procedures in place on paper, but in theory and in practice are two different things.

@manny2   Yes that is true. In the case of the facility where I work, you cannot control what the staff does outside the facility and that is where the problem is. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

Thank you for this thread.

This is something I have been thinking about for weeks!!

As I mentioned in some posts on this site, 5 years ago (at age 35 )I had a total knee replacement. It was very difficult and I ended up needing to go to a rehab facility for 8 days after the 5 days in the hospital (a bit longer due to complications).

The rehab facility I went to was horrible and it turns out has had 60 deaths from Covid over the past month.

Learning this was such a shock --as I was there for 8 long days so recently and it really brought home how dangerous it is in these facilities!  It also made me question past discussions I had with my mom--where I encouraged her to think now perhaps about making a move--out of her large home--- in case at some point she needed more care.

Now I am convinced that having people come into her home if and when care is needed would be far better--especially in reducing her exposure to germs and viruses.

Even my friend whose dad is in that super fancy retirement home in Dallas told me recently that they had 10 deaths to Covid.  And that place is very expensive and supposedly the best.....(He had to pay a little over 1 million for his 3 bedroom apt plus monthly fees in the more independent area.  This is where he is https://www.edgemeredallas.com)

And now I understand a lot more why my knee surgeon really discouraged people from going to rehab facilities like the one I went to---as they are a breeding ground for germs and viruses!!

This whole thing is a huge wake up call for us all!

HeartHeartHeart

Respected Contributor

We had 3 people in my husbands family die of Covid-19 and they were in nursing homes. When these people on T.V. think it isn't real  think again it is real!!

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

@ALRATIBA 

Yes, as you posted, some governors ordered that nursing homes accept Covid patients. Ours did.  And official documents do exist--even here, where the governor's order that nursing homes not refuse Covid patients was "disappeared" 😏 from the state's website. (Thank goodness for archival sites.)

It's no surprise that nursing home residents were sitting ducks for a deadly outbreak. 

And screen shots.