Honored Contributor

Re: Nursing home deaths from COVID

@SoonerI do.  It's a heart-breaking choice exacerbated many times over by this pandemic.  The statistics are staggering, but when one of those statistics becomes personal, that's always the one that etches the deepest wounds.

Valued Contributor

I worked at an upscale retirement community with three levels of care and I would give it high marks. It was a well regarded home. Lately there have been cases of the virus and some deaths. there was an obituary in the paper recently and the family said it most likely came from an aide who traveled to work on public transportation.  the aides care for more than one person, likely spreading it.

n

Honored Contributor

One of my neighbors was sent to a nursing home for rehab after surgery for a broken hip.  She died from Covid-19.  All she had was high blood pressure that had been kept under control.  To think, she would have gone home after physical therapy.

Another neighbor also sent for rehab by the same hospital to a different nursing home died from the virus.  He, too would have gone home after physical therapy.

There were also elderly assisted living in separate quarters who died.  They were hardly near death.  

I later found out rehab patients share the same bathrooms with residents in both facilities.  

Trusted Contributor

@Foxxee   I spent 3 weeks in a well respected rehab facility/nursing home for a fractured femur a few years ago.  I had a private room but shared a bathroom with one other person next door.  I got a C.diff. infection that almost killed me.  I noticed many deficiencies in good hygiene practice by the staff.  That's all it takes. Staff go from room to room and patient to patient.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@NYwomanI find it astounding that the Covid19 patients were sent back to nursing homes or sent there after testing positive.  Unless a nursing home is specifically set up to take these patients (and many can't do this) it is a death sentence for many living there.  I think the CDC had very specific criteria spelled out for nursing homes if they had a positive case.  

There would still be cases in the nursing homes, but perhaps on a much smaller scale as we learned more about the virus and transmission.  

Where I am we had a hospital set up a separate building that could be used just for the Covid patients of any age.

Honored Contributor

100,000 is too many American deaths no matter where they were.

Nursing Homes are NOT the cutting edge of Health Care by any means, yet Sadly so many of our frail, most vulnerable citizens are there.  

Using tracking it has been proven that Family Members/ other visitors/ as well as Staff brought COVID19 into Nursing Homes.  A tripple whammey.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Nursing homes also have grossly untrained staff which just makes the virus that much easier to spread.
Honored Contributor

In at least one state the governor prohibited the nursing homes from testing patients for Covid-19 prior to admission or readmission, so Covid-19 patients couldn't even be pre-screened and isolated, they were just dumped back in.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

This is the first time I can actually say I'm glad my parents are already gone. I would hate for them to go through this all alone in a nursing home. My heart breaks completely.

"Pure Michigan"