Respected Contributor

Nurses on the Front Line battling Covid

I just watched MSNBC interview a ICU Nurse who cares for Covid patients.  She lost her Father due to Covid and she talked about the stress they go through trying to save lives and stand in for families who cannot be with their loved ones who are dying from the virus.  She talked about going home after long shifts and crying while taking a shower. They are so stressed and overworked. My heart goes out to every nurse all over the world not leaving out the other medical workers (doctors,respiratory therapist, cna"s etc) who are working long hours and stressed out  while there are still those who refuse to wear a mask or who continue to have large gatherings like the 200 guest wedding in Naperville ILL just recently at a hotel (which I understand may be fined for allowing it to go on}. I am a retired nurse since 2016 and at my age I would not be able to work the hours they do to try to save lives from this horrible virus. As some have read my prior post, I lost my mom from Covid in April and she was a retired RN.  We all need to work together to irradicate this virus.  Thanks for letting me vent. Everyone please stay safe. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Nurses on the Front Line battling Covid

I'm so sorry for your loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe!

Respected Contributor

My nephew is a respiratory therapist, and battled Covid for over three weeks....so sick and running a 103.5 temp for days.  He went back to work last week ..because they desperately need him.  His hospital is at full occupancy.

All our hospital personnel are heroes through this terrible time.

Esteemed Contributor

I've very sorry you lost your mother to this virus, @Goodie2shoes.

It defies logic to me, how we are still in this place, the things I see in real life, and on tv.

And I do feel horribly for the nurses, and everyone in health care.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is one reason I feel infuriated when people minimize the consequences of this virus, citing that not as many people are dying, etc. The plight of frontline healthcare workers, patients now not being admitted or getting the care they need, the long-term sequelae of this illness for some, are all tragic and very real. @Goodie2shoes thanks for your post and for letting me vent too. I’m very sorry for the loss of your mom. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

This is one reason I feel infuriated when people minimize the consequences of this virus, citing that not as many people are dying, etc. The plight of frontline healthcare workers, patients now not being admitted or getting the care they need, the long-term sequelae of this illness for some, are all tragic and very real. @Goodie2shoes thanks for your post and for letting me vent too. I’m very sorry for the loss of your mom. 

I also wonder just what the human toll of this virus will be? I wonder how many health care workers commit suicide- I know I've seen some where some physicians did, it was early on I think.

How long can the health care workers keep this up? There was a nurse interviewed on the news earlier today from Pine Bluff, Arkansas, she said some are working their days off, sometimes they don't even take a lunch break because they are so busy.

Honored Contributor

61F003AE-E9CD-46D8-9C11-838264AA669B.png3492FDA5-0B97-4A43-B938-9ED62E183658.png

Honored Contributor

Goodie2shoes

Your vent was well said and so true.  I  am sorry for your loss and for everyone who has lost someone to this horrible virus.  

I will say I am tired of all  those who defy doctors and experts, who put all of us in harms way and affect our health by being arrogant and ignorant.  If we are to have control over this virus EVERYONE must  work together and very sadly that has not been the case.  

With the hope of a vaccine on the horizon may we finally find that light at the end of the tunnel.  I wish you all good health and safety and  we truly need to heal in more ways than one.

Honored Contributor

My friend's daughter is an ICU nurse (non-Covid unit) and they are so short staffed because of nurses out ill that they are 3 patients per nurse (usually they are 2 to 1) and most days she gets no break at all.   

Honored Contributor

Appreciation Gift Art  Never Forget The Difference You Make image 2

Thank you to all our nurses.  We can never say it enough. May God watch over each one of them in a special way.