Honored Contributor

I guess it would depend on what state you live in, some states allow the NP to work pretty much on their own, so they are full service. My state does not allow allow the NP to have their own practice seperate from a physcian. I have seen a NP in an emergency and they are as good as their experience allows.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nurse Practitioner?

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl  My husband goes to one who literally saved his life.

dH had been seeing the same MD for his physicals for years...one time his doctor was booked, so he had a female NP do his physical....she was feeling his stomach area and was concerned about an enlarged area below his chest sternum  area.   She had a sonigram done and he had an aortic abdominal aneurysm( AAA) which was quite pronounced. It had been there growing for YEARS.

To make a long story short..he was scheduled to see a vascular surgeon ASAP and he had surgery to correct the issue.

The MD never did a complete exam to feel the AAA.  The NP Really did a complete physical with out cutting corners. SHE DID SAVE My Husband's  LIFE.  His other doctor is no longer his doctor and he only goes to this NP now. 

Honored Contributor

Huh?  Do you know any RN's who Don't take their jobs seriously?  I don't know why the ER RN would say that.   NP's can be just as busy as MD's and depending on the practice, you often have to wait just as long for an appointment.  My pcp is an MD but she has two NP's on staff.  I don't remember how it happened but I really like one particular NP so I make all my appointments with her.  My yearly physical is coming up and that will be with her.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, so glad that your husband is okay and that the NP was excellent.  I am looking for someone just like that .  It is always good to hear those types of stories.

@chrystaltree, I am certain that almost all RNs take their jobs very seriously, just like in any profession.  I think the reason that she told me that is the clinic where the one NP works has four NPs but only the one has a 5-star reputation.  The others are in the 3s.  I have not read all of the reviews, but I will take a 5 over a 3 any day.  As an RN, I am sure that she meant no disrespect but wanted me to have the best care, which I appreciate.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

So far, the NP's that I've dealt with for myself and also for a couple of relatives have been excellent.

In fact, they seem to be good listeners, take their time, and make written and mental notes of any thoughts and updated med. information that I've run across and given them.

They seem to be 'on top of it all'.  Maybe they have more time at home to research and read new articles?

We should do a survey and ask our N/P's how they seem to be 'ahead of the game' in many instances...............It would be interesting.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  Also, now that I'm thinking about it, they don't seem to throw a pile of new pills at us, trying to counteract 'this and that' other med.

I do believe that they mentally try to get to the root of the problem.  Usually eliminating or decreasing unecessary meds/or whatever first. 

Maybe that's why I like them. 

(Lots of good doctors, too.  I'm just answering the question specifically re: NP's.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

Careful with visiting a Nurse Practitioner.  My insurance does not cover this type of office visit.  

Honored Contributor

p.s. (again):  As someone here mentioned, a N/P did save a relative's life years and years ago.  The N/P threw away the bottle of med. and presecribed new med instead.  The patient thought she had the flu.  It was a new med (another doc.). ( Patient lived many, many years later to be 100, btw.)

'All in all', N/P's can be life-savers. 

Lots of good luck to all.

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY, If I decide on an NP, I will definitely ask how she stays on top of things.  The answer will/should prove interesting.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@Lesa wrote:

Restricted practice

NPs need physician oversight to prescribe, diagnose, and treat patients in the following states:

• California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia

Source

American Association of Nurse Practitioner

---------------------------------------------

https://onlinenursing.simmons.edu/nursing-blog/nurse-practitioners-scope-of-practice-map/accessible/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

A Nurse practioner works under the supervision of a licensed physician.You would want to find a doctor you trust because that is who is actually in charge of your case. The nurse practioner does not practice on her own. If the doctor you like has a nurse practioner you may ask to see the nurse instead of the doctor if you like.

Perhaps that is true in your state but not in mine.  Nurse Practitioners do have their own practices and a licensed physician is not in charge of the patient's case.

That is very true.  It varies from state to state.  And in some states where the practice of the NP is restricted, sometimes the only restriction is the NPs in that state can't prescribe narcotics without consent by an md that sponsors that NP.  It varies widely.

Even in states where it is stated that the NPs must work under supervision of an md, in many instances the md just covers whatever the NP orders & leaves it to their discretion to check with them when they have questions.

At any rate, anyone that says all NPs have to work directly under the supervision of the md, is behind the times in healthcare.  NPs are used across the healthcare spectrum from ER, critical care, and all types of md practices.   

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *