Honored Contributor

@hopi

Have been seeing an NP for years now, and on a quarterly basis. This has not been due to my many sports related injuries, even my most recent ones however.

In fact, when I am scheduled to see the doctor, every 6 months, I request this NP in lieu of a doctor. Will be seeing her next Friday for my 6 month checkup for several blood related tests.

I have also seen many a PA in lieu of doctors and have had nothing but good experiences with all of them.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Yes and she is wonderful. Just as good or better than any MD I ever went to.

Valued Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Yes, I have been seeing a GYN NP for years now. I totally trust them. 

@conlt, Same here, love my NP!

Honored Contributor

Re: Nurse Practitioner?

[ Edited ]

@mom2four0418  I think you are confusing a nurse practioner with a Physicians assistant. They are not the same thing. A nurse practioner is an RN who got a masters degree as a nurse practioner and MUST work under the supervision of a licensed doctor. I am a nurse and I've worked with nurse practioners and Physicians assistants. A PA does a lot more as far as diagnosing etc.

For instance - in the hospital a PA will make rounds and see the patients instead of the doctor, they do more procedures in the OR, often when you call the doctor because of a problem the PA will come to see them first, & determine if the doctor is needed. A nurse practioner will see the patient before the doctor makes rounds, then makes rounds with him and they discuss what he wants done for the patient and she either orders it or does it - depending on what he wants to do.

Another example - my dermatologist has PA who work for her - they examine you and can freeze or burn off lesions - do biopsys etc. A nurse practioner would need for the doctor to examine those lesions first and confirm her diagnosis, because they are required to work under the supervision of a MD. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

A Nurse practioner works under the supervision of a licensed physician.You would want to find a doctor you trust because that is who is actually in charge of your case. The nurse practioner does not practice on her own. If the doctor you like has a nurse practioner you may ask to see the nurse instead of the doctor if you like.

Perhaps that is true in your state but not in mine.  Nurse Practitioners do have their own practices and a licensed physician is not in charge of the patient's case.

@mom2four0418, you are absolutely correct, NP's in 20 States have "full practice authority" and DO NOT have to work under the supervision of a doctor.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Restricted practice

NPs need physician oversight to prescribe, diagnose, and treat patients in the following states:

• California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Virginia

Source

American Association of Nurse Practitioner

---------------------------------------------

https://onlinenursing.simmons.edu/nursing-blog/nurse-practitioners-scope-of-practice-map/accessible/

Honored Contributor

My primary doc is a nurse practioner and has been for 30 years now. Our daughters went to kindergarten together and  she was part of a womens clinic; she  then branched out on her own. Can go to her for anything and she is very well thought of at the hospital I go to. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

0EA02D12-96F8-40C9-96B4-1AD154AA4904.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@151949, you need to fact check before you post erroneous information. 

Honored Contributor

My healthcare is managed by a DO, a PA, and an FNP.   I have no complaints.