Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I prefer them over a Dr.

Same here. I’ve received much better care in both the quality and quantity of time they take with you. 

Honored Contributor

A Nurse practioner works under the supervision of a licensed physician.You would want to find a doctor you trust because that is who is actually in charge of your case. The nurse practioner does not practice on her own. If the doctor you like has a nurse practioner you may ask to see the nurse instead of the doctor if you like.

Respected Contributor

The one I saw three times so far has diagnosed everything wrong.

If you find a good one, good for you but you cannot put them all in a basket and say they know what they are doing.

Honored Contributor

I've been seeing a NP for about 11 years.  A couple years back I thought about switching to the Dr.  The first time I saw him, I discussed the topic of Dr vs NP.  He said I could switch to him if I wanted.  After a couple appointments, I went back to the NP.  They totally had different styles and it turned out I liked hers better.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

A Nurse practioner works under the supervision of a licensed physician.You would want to find a doctor you trust because that is who is actually in charge of your case. The nurse practioner does not practice on her own. If the doctor you like has a nurse practioner you may ask to see the nurse instead of the doctor if you like.

Perhaps that is true in your state but not in mine.  Nurse Practitioners do have their own practices and a licensed physician is not in charge of the patient's case.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I prefer them over a Dr.

@missy1   @SXMGirl

So do I .... both I've seen were VERY knowledgable, articulate, and went above and beyond what most MDs have the time to do.   

OP, I wouldn't hesitate to use a NP ... often when it would take much longer to get to see the doc.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nurse Practitioner?

[ Edited ]

Here in Arizona an organization called Intergrated Healthcare Mobile Solutions, LLC acquired Podiatrists to go to homes to take care of patient's feet.  Now much to my surprise they also have Family Nurse Practitioners which I find not only convenient, but very helpful as well.

A young woman came to my home on a Thursday and I was very impressed.  She was very thorough and before she left she advised me that someone would be coming to take blood.  On Friday my blood was taken and on Saturday she called me with the results.  I have never had such quick service in all the years I have been going to doctors.  So far so good, I 'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will continue to operate this well as time goes on.  From my experience I can say if in doubt, go for it, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Perhaps that is true in your state but not in mine.  Nurse Practitioners do have their own practices and a licensed physician is not in charge of the patient's case.

@mom2four0418, you are correct. It depends on what state you live in. 

Honored Contributor

I consider my NP to be my regular "doctor".  I have complete faith in her, whether it be annual physical, routine care, or other needs.

Honored Contributor

I have not seen an MD for about 2 years now.  The doctors office I go to uses NP's all the time.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)