Honored Contributor

Re: Now I remember why I don't like

@LTT1 wrote:

@Nightowlz

I am now thinking that you have to force the issue with doctors... for many reasons, maybe some legal.

If you say "but you didn't fix me, I still have pain" they will run more tests at your insistence.

You could be having acute pancreatitis... it is best to find out. You might let them know that you prefer not waiting around taking pain meds for it to get better.

I can't believe...

@LTT1 I did tell the nurse that when she called this morning. I told her I did not think I could deal with the pain like it is for another week. I cannot function. All I can do is sit here half looped. Just from taking 1 pill at night has me in a fog.

My sister said she though it might be acute pancreatitis.

I told the nurse I would call back Mon if still in pain. I think I will call them Fri if still in pain. I don't want to spend another weekend like this last one.

They were going to make an appt for the ultrasound I had done yesterday. I asked them if I could go do it right now. I wanted to know what the cause of the pain is. They called the hospital & said send her right over.

When the pain first started I thought maybe I was getting Shingles because it's a burning pain which also hurts to the touch. I never developed a rash so doctor said not Shingles. I did read you can get Shingles without the rash. 

Honored Contributor

I've been through that more times than I can count, for years.  I won't go into my long frustrating story because I'd probably end up crying.  It took years and many, many different doctors representing different specialties to get a handle on it.  I think the problem is (I work in healthcare) people think that medicine is like those medical programs on tv.  Exam...scans...blood work....diagnosis!   Before the next commercial break.  It just doesn't work like that, especially with complaints like yours.  It's a process of elimination, they did the diagnostic work to no avail.  They don't know what is causing the pain.  But you shouldn't have to suffer.  Gallbladder problems are particularly difficult. I assume they did the ultrasound, mri, HIDA scan and nothing showed up.  It could be muscle strain but I bet you a $1 it isn't.  All you can do is follow doctor's orders have faith that they figure it all out soon.  Venting helps......

Honored Contributor

@granny me wrote:

I could have written this myself many times over!  

@granny me

Me too!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

to go to the doctor's office. 1st off I was having gallbladder issues which I won't go into again other then to say my right side miraculously stopped hurting a couple of weeks ago. Since DH had to have ct scan which showed nothing. No follow up doctor appt no more tests. If it needed a ct scan & it showed nothing seems like they would go from there? Am I missing something?

I had to go back to the doctor Mon for an emergency appt. I started having pain on my left side thurs night after dinner. I though it will be gone tomorrow. Fri came & still pain I had pain so bad I had to get some pain pills from I won't say who just so I could go to sleep. I would wake up when it wore off. Thought about going to the minor emergency clinic over the weekend but decided to wait & see if I could see my doctor on Mon. Sure they fit me in I peed in a cup, no kidney stone, no kidney infection. Sent me to the hospital for labs & ultrasound of kidney's & bladder. Received call this morning everything looks good. What??? I said what test next because I cannot go day to day like this. She said the doctor said most likely muscle related to take Aleve & the pain medication & call him back in a week if it still hurts. I guess I'm suppose to sit here in pain or keep taking pain pills so I'm in zombieland & cannot function. So I hope this stops hurting because I think I'm going to scream if I have to wait another week.

LOL!!! Thanks for letting me vent. In pain & not happy. No wonder I never want to go to the doctor. Guess Why? You go & they never find out what's wrong & you never get any help.

I totally agree with you.  I'm at the point with my 24/7 arthritis pain and many meds that have not helped since 2002, that I'm now considering seeking out hollistic help....hope you get a oorrect diagnosis soon...

@nana59

They don't know what it is . . . therefore, there's nothing wrong with you!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Have they checked you for pancreatitis?  If not, see someone about this asap.  That could well be the case if it's on your left side.  Right side?  Have they checked your liver?  These are extremely important.  I lost a dear cousin last year to pancreatitis - wasn't diagnosed early enough to save her. Please have someone check this out immediately. Continued pain like you are having means something is definitely wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

to go to the doctor's office. 1st off I was having gallbladder issues which I won't go into again other then to say my right side miraculously stopped hurting a couple of weeks ago. Since DH had to have ct scan which showed nothing. No follow up doctor appt no more tests. If it needed a ct scan & it showed nothing seems like they would go from there? Am I missing something?

I had to go back to the doctor Mon for an emergency appt. I started having pain on my left side thurs night after dinner. I though it will be gone tomorrow. Fri came & still pain I had pain so bad I had to get some pain pills from I won't say who just so I could go to sleep.

I would wake up when it wore off. Thought about going to the minor emergency clinic over the weekend but decided to wait & see if I could see my doctor on Mon.Sure they fit me in I peed in a cup, no kidney stone, no kidney infection. Sent me to the hospital for labs & ultrasound of kidney's & bladder.

Received call this morning everything looks good. What??? I said what test next because I cannot go day to day like this. She said the doctor said most likely muscle related to take Aleve & the pain medication & call him back in a week if it still hurts.

I guess I'm suppose to sit here in pain or keep taking pain pills so I'm in zombieland & cannot function. So I hope this stops hurting because I think I'm going to scream if I have to wait another week.

LOL!!! Thanks for letting me vent. In pain & not happy. No wonder I never want to go to the doctor. Guess Why? You go & they never find out what's wrong & you never get any help.

@@Nightowlz

Sorry you are in pain and the rest of your story. Most of my doctor visits are ones I set up, and have no problem with them. Many of them are "procedure/wait for results". I pretty much am in some type of pain(I'll say, discomfort), most of my waking hours.

I am pretty much limited to Tylenol, and my Heart Healthy, 81mg of Childrens Aspirin daily. No NSAIDS/Opiods/Codeine, nothing for inflammatory issues or pain. Some I cannot take because of my Colon Bleeding issues(15 colonoscopies/5 doub!e balloon enteroscopies), the others? I will not take because of what you said: "zombieland", I'll take the pain.

My doctors? Depends which doctors when it comes to "procedure/wait".My heart? Have the Procedure/Diagnosed/Repaired. Less than an hour. Colon? Prep/procedure/wait/did not find the bleeding. Then 3 days later: Prep/procedure/wait/did not find the bleeding.

Crepe happens to many of us for many reasons, but to me it has little to do with my doctors. Many things I dislike a lot, but again, it ain't visiting my doctors.

Hopefully you get some answers to what is causing your pain. Don't like seeing anyone in severe pain. I understand your situation, but how we feel about doctors visits? We are 180° apart.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz. Did they do a hydascan to test for gall bladder function?  GB could still be the cause of your pain. GB stones, sludge, spasms etc.

I went through this and the hydascan showed my GB was only 20% functioning and they removed it. No problem since. 

Respected Contributor

I think this is horrible! I used to call this getting caught up in red tape/paperwork! If your pain is on a scale of 1-10, is higher than 7 as you're already on some pain meds, then I'd get myself to ER. You can't go on in horrific pain and shouldn't have to. 

Valued Contributor

A couple of years ago, I was SURE I had gallbladder problems on & off, so finally, with some unplanned weight loss, no appetite, right side achiness, my Dr ordered GB ultrasound,found no GB disease, no stones, so eventually had a CT scan of abdomen...negative, so I think I am crazy, a month later, another CT scan, on my way home from hospital, as we were getting something to eat, my Dr calls & tells me to go back to the hospital right away, I told her not until you tell me what is wrong...she says your appendix is rupturing, right now! No pain, no nausea & vomiting, just vague everything..

it had ruptured, who knows when, & I was admitted & had my appendix out the next morning..so hopefully they looked at your appendix area..good luck..hope you feel better soon!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@Nightowlz. Did they do a hydascan to test for gall bladder function?  GB could still be the cause of your pain. GB stones, sludge, spasms etc.

I went through this and the hydascan showed my GB was only 20% functioning and they removed it. No problem since. 

@Nomorebirthdays I had 2 ultrasounds different years & 1 hida scan. No gallstones on ultrasounds, hida scan showed only working 15%. Doctor said I would have to do test again as the test I did was 2-3 yrs ago & the surgeon would want another test before he would remove my gallbladder. I told him I was told after I did the hida scan & it shows it needs removed I would not have to do it again. Since the pain on my right side quit after having it well over 10 yrs I thought it was better. I asked the doctor could it still be my gallbladder & the pain moved to my left side. He really did not have much to say about that. I read you can have stones in your pancreas. He did not even check that. They could have looked at it when they did the ultrasound on my kidney's & bladder. They just want you to keep coming in for tests so they can get more money out of you. That's how I feel anyways.

I did not take a pain pill last night. I took an Aleve & slept ok but I'm still in pain with more pain at night. Now since I took the Aleve last night I just feel like throwing up. I have never taken Aleve before.

I finally remembered I had a TENS Unit so I hooked it up to my side/back & my pain was so much better while it was running. Between that & the Aleve I was able to get some sleep but still woke up from the pain. I have been using the Tens & icing the area plus trying to stay away from any pills. I have to get out of this fog. I have a life to live.