Honored Contributor

Re: Now Cataracts..... At 62....

[ Edited ]

I had cateracts in my early 50's. Not known as to why so early. Family gentics???  Medication I take daily ???

I had my cateracts removed in  2003-2004. The heal time for me was quite long almost 6 months without glasses, couldn't drive or do close work. The eye drops that you must use before and after these are a MUST to help healing.  

I wear deep dark sun glasses everytime I go outside now. 

Just make sure you have a good reputable doctor. this I did nothave. I was like a bouncing ball . the doctor that did the surg bailed the same week the surg was done. I was passed around and around trying to see me to make sure I was healing.that was plain awful healing.

I was seeing optomitrists instead of opthamoligists which I should have been seeing.

I am doing OK now, can see excellent, bright lights bother me but I am clear.  I still have to wear regular glasses.

Respected Contributor

Don't go into the surgery expecting to come out with 20/20 vision without glasses.  I just turned 83 last weekend.  My surgery was two years ago, and I am very nearsighted by nature.  My doctor assured me that I would probably continue to need glasses.  Son in law is also an eye surgeon and he tells me that most people of advanced age will require glasses after surgery if you required correction before.  You may be one of the lucky ones.  I wish you luck.

Honored Contributor

I had cataract surgery on my right eye only.  The surgery is easy.  I was back to work the next day.

Unfortunally, I still need a corrective lens on that eye as I have other eye problems caused by lasik surgery.

best of luck to you.  

Valued Contributor

I have no idea why you would call them "junky lenses."  DH just had his done a few weeks ago.  His options were blade or laser for type of surgery.  Or a lens chosen for near or far or the multifocal.  Yes to go laser or multifocal it is more expensive but we were told blade vs laser really no difference, they do one more fitting after the first cut may have a slightly better outcome and he advised against the multifocal lens.  I would never upgrade to this especially with the chance of halos.  Medicare pays for the blade and regular lens.  Although he chose laser and paid the difference he stayed with the standard lens.  I have many friends who have used blade and the standard lens, now at 20/20.  Most chose to have the distance vision corrected and stick with readers.

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@SeaMaiden Wow.  I will be having the surgery in November and sadly am not in a position to afford the big bucks lenses and will have to suffer with the standard junky ones.  Never heard them called junky before :-(.  My friend had the standard ones implanted last year and she can see just fine, no glasses needed - and she is 91 years old.  Guess I have to choose between the junk or blindness.

@chlema. ThankYou for sharingSmiley Happy I suppose a better way to put it would be THE ROLLS ROYCE  of lenses....Vs standard lenses. I am with you...   I  have been using readers for 10 years with my hard contact lenses.  I think I can handle using them after surgery. The plus is that I will no longer need contacts!   That is not JUNK to me! 

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Don't go into the surgery expecting to come out with 20/20 vision without glasses.  I just turned 83 last weekend.  My surgery was two years ago, and I am very nearsighted by nature.  My doctor assured me that I would probably continue to need glasses.  Son in law is also an eye surgeon and he tells me that most people of advanced age will require glasses after surgery if you required correction before.  You may be one of the lucky ones.  I wish you luck.

@Perkup  ThankYou for sharing that.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Had both eyes done not that many years ago. Chose Muti-focal for my left eye, and Mono-focal for my right eye. Doctor told me going that route I would not need cheaters(readers), or ant glasses at all.

Had to do some financial juggling, but the $1700 I paid for the Multi-focal, at this point has almost paid for itself. I no longer need to get new Tri-focals every couple years, and they do not give those things away.

I wanted to not have to depend on any glasses when I was told that it could be done. Now I can read very small print without having to always wear the Tri-focals, or make sure I have my cheaters with me at all times. Worth every penny for me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Last time I went to eye dr (quite a while ago I'm afraid to say) I had the start of cataracts.  I make sure I wear sunglasses everytime I'm outside.  My sister always wore sunglasses and warned me - I never listened - wish I had. 

Don't worry.  My dad NEVER wore sunglasses and farmed.  I never stepped out of the house without them.  We had cataract surgery at the same age.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@chlema wrote:

@SeaMaiden Wow.  I will be having the surgery in November and sadly am not in a position to afford the big bucks lenses and will have to suffer with the standard junky ones.  Never heard them called junky before :-(.  My friend had the standard ones implanted last year and she can see just fine, no glasses needed - and she is 91 years old.  Guess I have to choose between the junk or blindness.

@chlema. ThankYou for sharingSmiley Happy I suppose a better way to put it would be THE ROLLS ROYCE  of lenses....Vs standard lenses. I am with you...   I  have been using readers for 10 years with my hard contact lenses.  I think I can handle using them after surgery. The plus is that I will no longer need contacts!   That is not JUNK to me! 

For a friend of mine, the ROLLS ROYCE of lenses turned out to be a real pain and her vision wasn't really correct as well as it would have been with standard distance vision.  Not every doctor is a big advocate of these.  Many factors to consider.  Check on the success rate and the variables before you make a decision.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@chlema wrote:

For a friend of mine, the ROLLS ROYCE of lenses turned out to be a real pain and her vision wasn't really correct as well as it would have been with standard distance vision.  Not every doctor is a big advocate of these.  Many factors to consider.  Check on the success rate and the variables before you make a decision.

You are 100% correct. Many opthalmologists do not recommend them and advise some patients to avoid them. I was willing and able to pay whatever it took to have the best vision possible. I was far-sighted and have an astigmatism in one eye which made it more and more difficult to "see up close" in general and read without glasses or contacts. My doctor used the standard lenses in both of my eyes. They are not "junk" and it is an incorrect and totally inappropriate remark. My surgery was done two years ago.  My "worst" eye was done first. Immediate crisp, clear vision and the same for my other eye which was "fixed" one week later. I can read the tiniest print, no glasses or "readers" needed.