Esteemed Contributor

Re: Now Cataracts..... At 62....

@SeaMaiden, you are going to be one happy lady. I had mine removed and haven't worn glasses since.

I also was a candidate for the multi-focal lens and can actually read a aspirin bottle w/o readers.

He took care of my astigmatism, and no restrictions on my driver's license.

I wore glasses all my life, and immediately after I could see. It was just beautiful. I'm so thankful I could avail myself of this new technology.

You are going to be so happy! Best wishes.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I developed a cataract in my right eye very rapidly after surgery to repair a detached retina 3 years ago. When I had the cataract taken care of about a year after that surgery, I asked about a multifocal lense and for various reasons it wasn't an option for me. I'd never worn glasses before because I had good near vision in that eye and good distance in my other eye. I got glasses, but just can't stand to wear them so I now also have multifocal contacts.

I did develop the "secondary" cataract on the lens capsule and had that lasered off recently. I'm also told that I have a cataract in the left eye that can be taken care of whenever I'm ready. We discussed multifocal implants again, and while it's not impossible that it would work for me, my eye doc says that in reality I would still need reading glasses in some situations. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden, you are going to be one happy lady. I had mine removed and haven't worn glasses since.

I also was a candidate for the multi-focal lens and can actually read a aspirin bottle w/o readers.

I wore glasses all my life, and immediately after I could see. It was just beautiful. I'm so thankful I could avail myself of this new technology.

@febe1  Your experience sounds exactly like mine.  I love being able to read that tiny print on those pill bottles!  I also had astigmatism in both eyes, which I hear is very common.  I plan to have the lense restriction removed from my driver's license when I get it renewed next year!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@febe1  
What a lovely post!.  I have to decide if I want to put out the extra funds for the better lens.... I am probably going to go for it as I want to enjoy the rest of my life the best I can and it would be such a treat after living the past 62 years with 20/400 vision.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@febe1  
What a lovely post!.  I have to decide if I want to put out the extra funds for the better lens.... I am probably going to go for it as I want to enjoy the rest of my life the best I can and it would be such a treat after living the past 62 years with 20/400 vision.

I honestly felt like it was a miracle, @SeaMaiden. Wishing you as much happiness with yours.

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@febe1  Your experience sounds exactly like mine.  I love being able to read that tiny print on those pill bottles!  I also had astigmatism in both eyes, which I hear is very common.  I plan to have the lense restriction removed from my driver's license when I get it renewed next year!

@2blonde, I hear you! It's like an unexpected gift given to you. I really appreciate it daily. I could never wear contacts, so I was really happy. Had I known, I would have been happy to hear I had cataracts.

My doctor left it up to me when to remove them. He felt the "riper", the better. Mine were slow growing, and he said the time would be right when it interfered with anything in my life. Enjoy! Enjoy! Your eye sight is precious.

Respected Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@2blonde, I hear you! It's like an unexpected gift given to you. I really appreciate it daily. I could never wear contacts, so I was really happy. Had I known, I would have been happy to hear I had cataracts.

My doctor left it up to me when to remove them. He felt the "riper", the better. Mine were slow growing, and he said the time would be right when it interfered with anything in my life. Enjoy! Enjoy! Your eye sight is precious.

@febe1 Yes, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "gift" at what I paid for the premium lenses!  Cat Wink  Mine were first diagnosed as starting about 4-1/2 years before I had them removed.  Like you said, they were starting to interfere with my life!  I also could never have worn contacts, but my vision was 20/20 until I started working on computers about 30 years ago. It was a gradual decline after that.

I did go through about a 2-year period of grace where the cataracts actually improved my distance vision to where I didn't need driving glasses anymore.  I could actually see better without the glasses. Unfortunately during that time my presbyopia also declined rapidly (thus the readers).

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

For those who need "readers" after cataract surgery, or for any other reason, you can get them at the Dollar Tree.  I bought over 15 pr. in many different strengths and designs.  They even have RayBans.  They do have designer glasses there.  I wouldn't be buying them from TV.  The s/h alone isn't worth it.  JMO  

For those of you who have a Dollar Tree in your area, it's certainly worth a try.  At first I bought a 3 pk. at Publix for $15.  Then I saw the same glasses at Dollar Tree for $3.00.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden,   I was first diagnosed with a cataract when I was 31 but surgery did not come until 20 years later.  In fact, I also ended up with surgery on my other eye.  There is hardly any recovery period.  A patch is placed on your eye when the surgery is completed and removed in one day.  Then you have to put some eye drops in your eyes and moisture eye drops for about 2 weeks, if I remember correctly.  You are not going to believe your sight when the patch is removed.  It is remarkable.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

My husband had a 2nd opinion done yesterday for cataracts.  The first doctor pushed the laser procedure and he did schedule an appointment for the surgery for an upgraded lens.  However, after talking with more people, we decided to have a 2nd opinion.  The 2nd doctor could not order the surgery at this time and did not recommend the Symphony lens at all.  He stated that the Symphony has not proven to be any better at this time.  DH's eyes are getting worse very quickly and doctor told him to come back in a couple of months to be reevaluated.  At this time, he did not meet the criteria to require cataract surgery.  He does not do the laser, feels doctors push it to pay for the machine.