Honored Contributor

Re: Now Cataracts..... At 62....

@2blonde wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Ive had cataract surgery on both eyes and didn't come out of it with 20/20 vision.  In fact I need to make an appointment for an exam as my vision has gone downhill the past couple of years. 

The surgery itself is a piece of cake.  The worst part is having to use drops afterwards for a couple of weeks.  I had surgery in the morning and kept a dentist appointment in the afternoon.  Figured I might as well ruin the WHOLE day. 

@Kachina624  If your vision has changed, you should have it checked out.  My doc told me that many people develop a "film" over the implanted lens.  He said that some get it right away, but others develop over years. They simply laser that off and your good again.  I actually have it already on my left eye, and he will laser it off in a month or two.  It has only affected that eye slightly.  It's no big deal.....you can drive yourself to and from, etc.

It's a fallacy (often promoted by surgeons) that every person who has cataract surgery will be able to see perfectly without glasses after cataract surgery. It depends on what your eyesight was before the cataracts.

I was "assured" that I would be able to see perfectly for everything but "distance" after my surgeries. It was never the truth. I had an astigmatic lens placed in one eye and a "regular" lens placed in the other eye. I know can see (no pun intended) that even if I'd ponied up for the multifocal lens in the "regular" eye, I would still need glasses for everything but very close up. That would have been wasted money as far as being able to go without.

My eyes still change every couple of years just like they have since childhood. It's not true at all that once you have IOLs your vision never changes any more.

I can see perfectly without glasses for a distance of about 17-18". I need glasses to watch TV or see 5-10 feet away, never mind driving - and I always will. 

No one should wholesale buy into believing that every person who has cataract surgery with IOLs will henceforth be able to see totally without glasses, even with the progressive IOLs. My surgeon flat lied to me - but what's done is done. I had it done under insurance while I was working. Medicare would pay for nothing at this point, unless I developed the film - which I haven't. My eyesight changes have nothing to do with that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Identical situation.  I wore gas permeable hard lens due to astigmatism for over 40 years.  Had cataract surgery two years ago and have been gloriously lens free ever since.  What a great way to start your day when you can open your eyes and actually see!  Did not bother me an iota pitching those lens. 

Edited to add - I don't remember needing to wean off the hard lense prior to surgery.  I had horrible vision so, if I did have to, it surely wasn't for long.  

Honored Contributor

Sixty-two seems kind of early to me.  I have the beginning of cataracts but was told to wear sunglasses whenever there was a glare.  I hate sunglasses:/

By chance, @SeaMaiden, are you blue-eyed?

Honored Contributor

@BadWolf wrote:

Identical situation.  I wore gas permeable hard lens due to astigmatism for over 40 years.  Had cataract surgery two years ago and have been gloriously lens free ever since.  What a great way to start your day when you can open your eyes and actually see!  Did not bother me an iota pitching those lens. 

Edited to add - I don't remember needing to wean off the hard lense prior to surgery.  I had horrible vision so, if I did have to, it surely wasn't for long.  

@BadWolf. Thanks for sharing!🙂

I read somewhere It is suggested waiting  one month for each 10 years of wearing hard lenses to let the eyes stabilize.   If that is case,I would have to wait 4 months to have surgery.   Guess Iwill have to see what the clinic wants.  I am only on day one not wearing my hard lenses.....it has been OK. But my eyes will get steadily worse as time goes on as they start to go back to their own shape.  I hate wearing glasses!

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Sixty-two seems kind of early to me.  I have the beginning of cataracts but was told to wear sunglasses whenever there was a glare.  I hate sunglasses:/

Hi Tansy! Yes I am blue eyed.  I have always worn good sunglasses for years even on cloudy days .  The sun really bothers my eyes plus it helps with less wrinkles.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

Things that contribute to cataract formation (though not specifically "causes" as medical science doesn't know exactly why we get them specifically) include the following.

I think having blue eyes or light green eyes ties into the things that contribute below. I too have always used dark sunglasses as an adult because my pale eyes have always been extra-sensitive to light and glare.

Causes of cataracts include the following:

Ultraviolet radiation from sunlight and other sources
Diabetes
Hypertension
Obesity
Smoking
Prolonged use of corticosteroid medications
Statin medicines used to reduce cholesterol
Previous eye injury or inflammation
Previous eye surgery
Hormone replacement therapy
Significant alcohol consumption
High myopia

Family history

I was doomed apparently as I had 8/13 risk factors.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Ive had cataract surgery on both eyes and didn't come out of it with 20/20 vision.  In fact I need to make an appointment for an exam as my vision has gone downhill the past couple of years. 

The surgery itself is a piece of cake.  The worst part is having to use drops afterwards for a couple of weeks.  I had surgery in the morning and kept a dentist appointment in the afternoon.  Figured I might as well ruin the WHOLE day. 

@Kachina624  If your vision has changed, you should have it checked out.  My doc told me that many people develop a "film" over the implanted lens.  He said that some get it right away, but others develop over years. They simply laser that off and your good again.  I actually have it already on my left eye, and he will laser it off in a month or two.  It has only affected that eye slightly.  It's no big deal.....you can drive yourself to and from, etc.

@Thanks @blonde.  I already had that done. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had cataract surgeries when I was 37. There was no known cause, but my doc was determined to find one, and interrogated me, asking a million questions, including finally -if I used recreational drugs. Umm, No. LOL. This was 20 years ago and he felt bad for me having to choose far or near distance at that young age, so we decided on monovision, one eye of each. After suffering thru temporary vertigo, my vision settled weeks later.  And I am thankful that I have such a wide range of vision.

Frequent Contributor

Amazing, and mine were at age 37. It makes you wonder- Why?

Frequent Contributor

Amazing, and mine were at age 37. It makes you wonder why? Wish we knew.