Trusted Contributor

Novocure - new cancer treatment

I was watching "Mad Money" and I heard the host talking about a new cancer treatment.  It is being tested on different types of cancer and (my understanding) is that the goal is to use this to destroy cancer in lieu of surgery.  I copied the below from their website if anyone is interested. 

Tumor Treating Fields (TTFields) are low intensity alternating electric fields, which are tuned to interfere with the division process of cancer cells]. TTFields are delivered to the region of the cancer using an investigational medical device, called the NovoTTF-100M System. The system is a portable, light-weighted, battery operated device designed to deliver TTFields to brain metastasis from non-small cell lung cancer. Patients receiving TTFields need to wear four transducer arrays on their scalp, which deliver the fields non-invasively to the brain. The system is intended for continuous home use by patients.

TTFields have been approved by the FDA for treatment of adult patients suffering from newly diagnosed and recurrent glioblastoma. Nevertheless, this investigational system has never before been tested in patients suffering from brain metastasis from non-small cell lung cancer. Therefore, the safety and efficacy of TTFields in this condition is still unknown, and will be evaluated for the first time in this clinical trial.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Re: Novocure - new cancer treatment

@MarieIG

Thank you for this new medical information.  

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Re: Novocure - new cancer treatment

I heard on TV it is unbelieveably expensive.  Won't try to quote the exact price as I can't believe it could possibly be correct.