Honored Contributor

Notice from Doctor RE: Covid vaccine and Breast Cancer

I got this email yesterday from my breast cancer Doctor's office. I never heard this before. I never thought about the lymph nodes reaction to the vaccine.

"Vaccines of all types can result in a temporary swelling in the lymph nodes, as your body’s immune system produces antibodies as intended. There are now many people proceeding with the COVID vaccine (which we encourage), however this results in a need to time your breast imaging around the vaccination in order to prevent a false read of lymph node enlargement. If your screening mammogram is due now, you may schedule it prior to receiving the COVID vaccine, especially if you are in a group to which the vaccine has not yet been offered. Otherwise, if you are not having any breast concerns, please schedule the mammography 4-6 weeks after the final dose of the vaccine is administered. Please do not delay longer than the 4-6 week after the vaccine if you are due.  If it is not possible to reschedule your screening mammogram or your COVID vaccine then please inform the facility and the staff at the radiology center that you have been recently vaccinated."

Respected Contributor

Re: Notice from Doctor RE: Covid vaccine and Breast Cancer

Someone posted about this several weeks ago.

Respected Contributor

I read about this somewhere recently. I was due for my mammogram but put it off due to the pandemic. I just got my second vaccination today. Thank you for posting this and helping to get this, very important, information out to everyone!🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

If it was posted previously...............I didn't see it.

OP - thanks   Not all of us read everything......every day

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sann 

Yes, this was posted. Also I received my mammogram after my 1st vaccine and yes, I did have to go back for a second mammo on one breast. The second test came back negative. I knew this could happen, but I wanted my vaccine and my doctor wanted the mammo done. Everything turned out ok. I've had my second vaccine  without any side affects, just a bit tired is all I experienced the day after.

@sann wrote:

Someone posted about this several weeks ago.

Honored Contributor

Teacher daughter just had her mammogram, and the date of her 2nd Covid shot was noted in her chart to alert the doctor reading her test.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  Thanks for the post! I didn't see the first post either. I was just getting ready to book my mamo, now that I got my second shot. I always have lymph node issues anyway, so I'll be sure to wait and let them know about the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I got this email yesterday from my breast cancer Doctor's office. I never heard this before. I never thought about the lymph nodes reaction to the vaccine.

"Vaccines of all types can result in a temporary swelling in the lymph nodes, as your body’s immune system produces antibodies as intended. There are now many people proceeding with the COVID vaccine (which we encourage), however this results in a need to time your breast imaging around the vaccination in order to prevent a false read of lymph node enlargement. If your screening mammogram is due now, you may schedule it prior to receiving the COVID vaccine, especially if you are in a group to which the vaccine has not yet been offered. Otherwise, if you are not having any breast concerns, please schedule the mammography 4-6 weeks after the final dose of the vaccine is administered. Please do not delay longer than the 4-6 week after the vaccine if you are due.  If it is not possible to reschedule your screening mammogram or your COVID vaccine then please inform the facility and the staff at the radiology center that you have been recently vaccinated."

@drizzellla @I had my right underarm become very swollen after my second shot.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   Thank you for this information.

I just had my annual mammo and I was asked if I had been vaccinated for COVID-19 but they also asked if I had any recent vaccinations, too. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Regular Contributor

I e-mailed this info to my sil, who has b.c.  She just called me and said the subject line said covid vaccine and breast cancer.  The body of the text was about a skin care product.Woman Mad

I just e-mailed her again and this time it was ok.

Smiley Happy