Honored Contributor

Re: Nothing by mouth or just clear liquids ....

@Evie2004 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The thing is that the way it seems to be done down here is you go to the doctor and they say they want a test - then you go out to the desk to pay your co pay and the girl gives you your appt for whatever the doctor ordered. They don't give you an opportunity to chose where or when at all. Then they hand you a paper with the prep on it. 

Don't wait for them to give you an opportunity, talk to them. They hand you the paper, you look it over and say thank you, but this does not work because and explain why. 

Agree, I have never been given a prep sheet without special comments for diabetic patients,..I would never let a diabetic go 2 days on clear liquids.

@Evie2004There would be a way for a person who is diabetic to do it.  This wouldn't be the first case.  They'll know how to do it.  Ask.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Wow

Why you let him go so long without eating?  If he didn't speak up about being a diabetic, you should have. 

The people making the appointments need to be aware of his condition and work around it.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The thing is that the way it seems to be done down here is you go to the doctor and they say they want a test - then you go out to the desk to pay your co pay and the girl gives you your appt for whatever the doctor ordered. They don't give you an opportunity to chose where or when at all. Then they hand you a paper with the prep on it. 

Don't wait for them to give you an opportunity, talk to them. They hand you the paper, you look it over and say thank you, but this does not work because and explain why. 

Agree, I have never been given a prep sheet without special comments for diabetic patients,..I would never let a diabetic go 2 days on clear liquids.

@Evie2004There would be a way for a person who is diabetic to do it.  This wouldn't be the first case.  They'll know how to do it.  Ask.  Good luck.

I guess I should have added "without very closely monitoring their blood sugar" during the prep..

Honored Contributor

@Loveac wrote:

Well, my problem is the opposite of diabetes....I am hypoglycemic.  I am scheduled for minor surgery in two weeks as the first appointment.  I need to fast from midnight on...this is gonna be a real problem because even though I have a small snack before bedtime, I need to eat once in awhile during the night...otherwise I don't feel right and get terrible pressure in my head.  I also need to eat as soon as I wake in the morning.  My dr is aware of this and will start me on an IV as soon as I get to the hospital, which is 25 minutes away.  I am not afraid of the anesthesia or surgery, but am having terrible anxiety and panic over that fasting.  Actually, I'm terrified...

@Loveac Try to limit refined carbohydrates in your diet for the next two weeks. If your blood sugar drops a glucose solution by IV will keep your glucose levels stable. Best wishes for a quick and easy recovery. 

Super Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Loveac wrote:

Well, my problem is the opposite of diabetes....I am hypoglycemic.  I am scheduled for minor surgery in two weeks as the first appointment.  I need to fast from midnight on...this is gonna be a real problem because even though I have a small snack before bedtime, I need to eat once in awhile during the night...otherwise I don't feel right and get terrible pressure in my head.  I also need to eat as soon as I wake in the morning.  My dr is aware of this and will start me on an IV as soon as I get to the hospital, which is 25 minutes away.  I am not afraid of the anesthesia or surgery, but am having terrible anxiety and panic over that fasting.  Actually, I'm terrified...

@Loveac Try to limit refined carbohydrates in your diet for the next two weeks. If your blood sugar drops a glucose solution by IV will keep your glucose levels stable. Best wishes for a quick and easy recovery. 

Thanks Trinity.  I was hoping someone could give me advice.  I am going to have to do exactly what u said.  I appreciate your advice and good wishes.

Respected Contributor

I have a question: if he had not taken his medication for two days, how did his blood glucose plummet so low???? I would be asking some serious questions.....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't tell him to take his meds. Diabetics need the med's to keep that count where it needs to be. They should have made a point of stressing that to him.  Glad you were there and he's ok.

You don't take your diabetes meds, generally, if you're not eating. At least with Metformin, you don't. Food is what puts the count up. The meds lower it. The man asn't eating and he had a blood sugar reading of 34. That's perilously low. If he'd taken his meds, it would probably have been an ER situation instead of home rescue. Or worse.

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

I have a question: if he had not taken his medication for two days, how did his blood glucose plummet so low???? I would be asking some serious questions.....

Poodlepet2

I actually wondered that as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find it hard to believe that anyone, let alone a nurse, wouldn't think it was important to inform them that the patient is a diabetic so a proper appointment time could be made. 

My DH is diabetic.  If he had to go for a test, etc. where he couldn't eat until the test time, I would make sure the scheduler knew that so he could be put into a first morning appointment.  

OP you can speak up for everything else, why not this? 

Respected Contributor

I have my doubts....allegedly, two days without medication and he plummets down to 35???? @Lipstickdiva , something doesn't add up....it just never seems to with this OP.  I am NOT on a hypoglycemic medication and I would have been asking some serious questions.....nothing adds up.....always complaints-never-ending.....

Poodlepet2