Valued Contributor

Re: Nothing by mouth or just clear liquids ....

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The thing is that the way it seems to be done down here is you go to the doctor and they say they want a test - then you go out to the desk to pay your co pay and the girl gives you your appt for whatever the doctor ordered. They don't give you an opportunity to chose where or when at all. Then they hand you a paper with the prep on it. 

Don't wait for them to give you an opportunity, talk to them. They hand you the paper, you look it over and say thank you, but this does not work because and explain why. 

Agree, I have never been given a prep sheet without special comments for diabetic patients,..I would never let a diabetic go 2 days on clear liquids.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The thing is that the way it seems to be done down here is you go to the doctor and they say they want a test - then you go out to the desk to pay your co pay and the girl gives you your appt for whatever the doctor ordered. They don't give you an opportunity to chose where or when at all. Then they hand you a paper with the prep on it. 

@151949

I'm not diabetic but when I have to do any fasting of any sort, I always get a first thing in the morning appointment ... even if it takes longer to get in.  NOT negotiable.   I'd never wait until mid afternoon to do any test .... JMO.

Valued Contributor

I am a diabetic on two types of insulin plus oral meds. I also have cancer and have to have different types of scans every three months---all on a fast.

All of my scan appointments are made no later than mid-morning---I make sure EVERYONE involved in my scans know I am diabetic--that way I am given preference over patients who are not diabetic and can go without eating (or drinking anything except water) for a longer time than I can. Same goes for when I have to have fasting blood work.

Do not accept whatever appointment the receptionist gives your husband if it doesn't work for him--and puts him in danger--SPEAK UP!!!!!

Even when I needed major surgery, I was given the first surgical opening in the early morning--just because my surgeon knew I am diabetic.

Don't allow anyone to intimidate you!!!! It gets me angry when I hear horror stories like yours--it's ridiculous and unnecessary!!!!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@151949 wrote:

At that point, it is encumbent upon the patient to tell them about his condition.  If you think you cannot meet the conditions for having the test, they need to know.  There usually is some sort of alternative.  And sometimes you have to get really insistent.

Also, your husband should have been closely monitoring his blood sugar.  If you had to defy the instructions, at least you could have caught it before it became dangerous.  My husband would have had the opposite problem--he would have ended up with high sugar given those same instructions.

I know that was a frightening experience for you both and I hope his tests turn out okay and he gets back to normal ASAP.

If he had taken those meds he'd be dead now. 

You misunderstood what I was trying to say.  I didn't say to take his medications.  I meant if his sugar was crashing, had he been monitoring that, he could have taken the orange juice, or whatever, before it got so low.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gracies Mom wrote:

I am a diabetic on two types of insulin plus oral meds. I also have cancer and have to have different types of scans every three months---all on a fast.

All of my scan appointments are made no later than mid-morning---I make sure EVERYONE involved in my scans know I am diabetic--that way I am given preference over patients who are not diabetic and can go without eating (or drinking anything except water) for a longer time than I can. Same goes for when I have to have fasting blood work.

Do not accept whatever appointment the receptionist gives your husband if it doesn't work for him--and puts him in danger--SPEAK UP!!!!!

Even when I needed major surgery, I was given the first surgical opening in the early morning--just because my surgeon knew I am diabetic.

Don't allow anyone to intimidate you!!!! It gets me angry when I hear horror stories like yours--it's ridiculous and unnecessary!!!!

Smart patient.  Always speak up if not sure. Many clear liquids have some sugar in them.

We all have a responsibility to ourselves!    

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949

I'm not diabetic but when I have to do any fasting of any sort, I always get a first thing in the morning appointment ... even if it takes longer to get in.  NOT negotiable.   I'd never wait until mid afternoon to do any test .... JMO.

I'm the same way. I always take later afternoon appointments for everything else so I can go after work, but if there's fasting, I take the earliest appointment I can get to.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Interesting!  I changed the time for my procedure tomorrow when she call yesterday.  She also questioned me about any and all other medical conditions that might affect the procedure.

I certainly do not get treated that way and I live DOWN HERE!

Respected Contributor

OP, as outspoken as you are about everything AND being a nurse, I am surprised you didn't know this or do it.

Or was this just another reason to bash the care you have down there?

Diabetes is nothing to play with. Good grief!

Honored Contributor

@151949 If they are that uncaring and rigid "down there", perhaps you can have such tests done when you're back up in PA in the future.

Super Contributor

Well, my problem is the opposite of diabetes....I am hypoglycemic.  I am scheduled for minor surgery in two weeks as the first appointment.  I need to fast from midnight on...this is gonna be a real problem because even though I have a small snack before bedtime, I need to eat once in awhile during the night...otherwise I don't feel right and get terrible pressure in my head.  I also need to eat as soon as I wake in the morning.  My dr is aware of this and will start me on an IV as soon as I get to the hospital, which is 25 minutes away.  I am not afraid of the anesthesia or surgery, but am having terrible anxiety and panic over that fasting.  Actually, I'm terrified...